SCAMMER ALERT FROM UK

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
KG4FVG

SCAMMER ALERT FROM UK

Post by KG4FVG »

Someone is claiming to be Dave Dunston M3RRN from the UK. He emails from m3rrn@yahoo.co.uk. I have talked to the REAL Dave Dunston and this guy is not him. He emailed me in reference to my wanted ad for a Signal R535. I became suspect of him when the photos were of different radios and emailed the email provided on the QRZ lookup of M3RRN. Everyone beware of this!
K9RLB

Same Here ~

Post by K9RLB »

Was also contacted - the second he mentioned Western Union I knew to walk away! It was from m3rrn@yahoo.co.uk - - - the ironic thing is, his price was way higher than a fair value ~ ~ ~ you'd think a scammer would be cheaper, right?
Simple...never use Western Union - and confirm who you are dealing with!
KE3W

Post by KE3W »

If you would forward a copy (get header's if possible) to abuse@yahoo.co.uk - they will check on it and possibly lock out his mailbox. Trust me - it does work!
M3RRN

Post by M3RRN »

Hi I am the real M3RRN and I thanks to K9RLB and KG4FVG for bringing this to my attention.

I have done some work on this and have reported it to yahoo who are looking into it already !

I am a PI working in the UK and I noticed from the header of the emails sent to you that it came from no-reply@qth.com and the person sending them is it seems a member here to be able to send a email with the qth.com email system.

I have also sent a email to qth.com with the information, and updated my QRZ web page to clarify the issue to help avoid anyone getting scammed.

I think the people responsible may well be registed here under different user names, and just using the details of amateurs like myself in emails forwarded out to others.

Once again I apprecaite the help and I am confident we have enough information now to pinpoint the culprits

Dave Dunstan
M3RRN
Private Investigator
UK
M3RRN

Post by M3RRN »

Had this message from Scott @qth this morning so looks like its being sorted and pretty impressed with the quick response from this site.

Thanks for the heads up, Dave. We've taken measures to be sure that this person does not pose as you on our system any longer.

Regards,

Scott
QTH.com