scammers!!!

For reports of scammers using other people's callsigns. Remember that any callsigns listed in this forum are likely innocent bystanders (subjects of identity theft) and, thus, are probably not guilty of anything. For bad transactions with verified ham operators, use the Feedback Forum instead.
ac9xh

scammers!!!

Post by ac9xh »

Hello,

placed an ad for genesis radio g59. received a reply from a canadian amateur radio operator. replied and he said he could send pics.Well Im not a member of qrz.com but am good thru qrzcq,hamcall and FCC.

I checked this guy out and instead of listing his name with the email he sent, it was his middle name instead of his last name.Interesting. Im holding off listing the callsign in case he might be legit but seems like he might be a scammer.

I indicated i wanted to buy the genesis radio g59 he claims to have pics,etc. nothing yet. Scammers use this ploy to send emails and messages to your phones also so when you click on them it opens the door for their spyware to hijack your phone,etc. if I dont receive pics, then its a scam because i emailed the fellow about his last name being different than what is listed on hamcall,qrzcq. whoever it is, listed a canadian hams middle name as his last name. SO BEWARE OF THE SUBTLE TRICKERY.
David
ac9xh
ac9xh

Re: scammers!!! solution!!!

Post by ac9xh »

well this might be a stupid suggestion, but have several known trusted hams who will volunteer for a nominal fee, be a clearing house for trading goods.
Example. Ham a want to buy sell or trade. ham b wants do to the same ,so the person with the goods has to send it to a third party station and be verified that the goods are exactly what they are selling or offering and vice versa.

the other ham sends the money and after it clears properly or arrives via paypal, then the goods are shipped. only thing needed to be done is open package,verify item in question and then tape it back up and
re-label the box with the new address to where its going. If we could get this going it would eliminate alot of fraud. items would have to be verified and money would have to be verified.for a small fee, i would do it all the time if it would prevent lost money and lost items not paid for.

Maybe someone with the contacts and smarts could set up a ham only transaction market. no paypal but a middle clearing house ran by hams for hams to reroute the money to others after said item arrives and is verified. might slow things down a little but hey ,you would be employing other hams and be slowing down the scam scums.

other thing, need to identify the scammers ip addresses. then contact the servers with the law and go after them where they live. ip addresses can be traced even if they move around

73 David
ac9xh