SCAMMER ALERT | robertallisbaugh7@gmail.com claiming to be WB2MRB

For reports of scammers using other people's callsigns. Remember that any callsigns listed in this forum are likely innocent bystanders (subjects of identity theft) and, thus, are probably not guilty of anything. For bad transactions with verified ham operators, use the Feedback Forum instead.
K8BYP

SCAMMER ALERT | robertallisbaugh7@gmail.com claiming to be WB2MRB

Post by K8BYP »

Scam email in response to one of my Ads on this site.

Email claiming to be from Marisa Bremer, WB2MRB with Reply-To address (Gmail, of course, the haven of all Scammers!)

robertallisbaugh7@gmail.com

Problems with the Email:

Changing Identities or using anothers Email account,
Immediately after I responded "yes its available" this response from a Nigerian scammer:

"okay, I'm willing to pay your asking price for that for you to reserve it in my favor.. And I'll be mailing a
cashier check for the payment, and once the bank posts the fund, which shouldn't take more than a day,
I'll arrange for the shipping."

Whomever sent the response was sitting there over the keyboard waiting for me to reply, thats typical Scammer action. Most Users here on QTH dont do that, responses are usually delayed a day or so.

Notice the Nigerian 411 Scammer lingo "in my favor" and "once the bank posts the fund" and the lie about "cashier check taking a day to clear"

Checks do not clear in a day...too much fraud these days.

These are not American English phrasings, they are Brittish English, typical of Scammers.

These scammers usually shift identities onto an Anon Gmail account.

They cant "arrange for the shipping" I do that.

The problem with this QTH site is that it HELPS the scammers conceal their identity, especially around older Users that are not computer savvy.
The Email from QTH is too long with too much useless verbage that makes it difficult to know who is sending what. Blocking scammers is made difficult by the fact the Scammers emails are coming FROM QTHes domain, not from their own Email domain.

Marking the Scammers Email from QTH as "Spam" also marks the QTH domain as SPAM, and then the Recipient doesnt get Emails from QTH any more (or they go in the SPAM bin)
Last edited by K8BYP on Mon May 17, 2021 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
K8BYP

Re: SCAMMER ALERT

Post by K8BYP »

PS Wanna deal with scammers?

Tell them to send the details of their offer thru the US Mail. A QSL card will do.

Then when they defraud you, let the Postal Inspectors Office take legal action against them for MAIL FRAUD. :mrgreen:

That will end it real quick! Any self respecting Ham will have a QSL card...
N6dlh

Re: SCAMMER ALERT

Post by N6dlh »

K8BYP wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:26 pm PS Wanna deal with scammers?

Tell them to send the details of their offer thru the US Mail. A QSL card will do.

Then when they defraud you, let the Postal Inspectors Office take legal action against them for MAIL FRAUD. :mrgreen:

That will end it real quick! Any self respecting Ham will have a QSL card...

In the old days USPS inspectors actual investigated things. We had a Fraud case in my family that was centered around the use of USPS Postal money orders since many use them to keep fraud at bay due to postal investigations. Yep they did absolutely nothing and had bo interest in investigating anything. So buyers beware.
K8BYP

Re: SCAMMER ALERT | robertallisbaugh7@gmail.com claiming to be WB2MRB

Post by K8BYP »

Yes, I understand that the entire USPS system is wrong and you are right. You know more than all the experts in the IGs Office.

Thats the typical narcissistic, contradictory, angry Troll comment

The Postal INspectors have taken effective action for me TWICE :mrgreen:

Maybe your claims were not substantiated and had no merit, therefore they could not act?

Misuse of money orders is not MAIL FRAUD. ITs low level financial fraud.

You deceptively attempted to change the topic

The TOPIC is MAIL FRAUD.

Sorry, Troll. Fail.
n8rt

Post by n8rt »

Hello K8BYP, Thanks for taking the time to alert HAM RADIO Operators of this THIEF Scammer.

You mentioned that many OLDER Hams or Family may not have the computer skills or that they
may have other issues, can easily be taken advantage of. You are correct most recently AARP has alerted there members, about Telephone and email thieves. Millions of Dollars have been stolen from older Americans.

I received the exact same EMAIL from this THIEF, for my relatively expensive item FOR SALE.
Like you I checked the THIEFS info.

Basically, the THIEFS Scheme is:
After you send the THIEF your Mailing address, the thief will send you a FAKE CASHIERS CHECK, and he mentions that when the check is deposited into your account, he will have another entity pick up the item the next DAY!!
I realized what the THIEF was trying to do, and that is to have the FOR-SALE item in the hands of some unknown entity, for further delivery to the THIEF, Before the BANK indicates the Cashier’s CHECK is worthless.

So do your homework, before you get too excited selling your item at FULL PRICE.
Look up the ham call sign, see where the IP address is coming from, QTH does list the buyers IP address in the first Email that you receive. If the Buyer insists that your only have ONE DAY for the Thief’s cashiers check to clear, and mentions that they will arrange for the shipping. YOU will know you’re a dealing with a THIEF.

By the way, my THIEFS IP address was in Louisiana, not Nigeria so the Thief is using a VPN and can choose any IP location in the world.
Rob N8RT
ka2fir

Post by ka2fir »

Did you report the scammers emails to abuse@gmail.com?