Possible Scammer

For reports of scammers using other people's callsigns. Remember that any callsigns listed in this forum are likely innocent bystanders (subjects of identity theft) and, thus, are probably not guilty of anything. For bad transactions with verified ham operators, use the Feedback Forum instead.
n3ab

Possible Scammer

Post by n3ab »

I received an email from someone by the "name" of Gary Cork asking about an item I have for sale. Here is his email address as received by me:
"Gary Cork (405) 544-0859" <garyc4621@gmail.com>

He stated: How are you doing, just wanna know if you still have it for sale? if yes send me email with your direct mail Thank you

I answered him, and I then received an email from: "Gary Cock <garyc4621@gmail.com>". Yes, that's how he spelled his last name. This message:
Hello,
What is the condition? Are you firm on the price? Willing to pay your asking price but I'm more concerned about the condition since I'm not a local buyer.I do hope the condition is as you have stated and the item is exactly as shown in the pictures?

NOTE: This is the exact format I received from a spammer last summer.

I emailed him back telling him I received similar emails from a spammer last year and then I asked him for his call sign. Nothing heard after that.

Tread lightly!

John N3AB
n3ab

Re: Possible Scammer

Post by n3ab »

Someone posted in another thread (and the wrong one at that) that I should get the possible scammer's name correct. I have two emails from the scammer. On one, he called himself "Gary Cork". On the second, he called himself "Gary Cock". All of the information I posted was correct and as I received it. I was just trying to help someone else avoid a possible scam.

It's sad that we have to throw knives at each other here. That will be the last time I report anything that seems out of line.
K4yhe

Re: Possible Scammer

Post by K4yhe »

I appreciate the information that you provided it kept me from possibly being scammed. I think that I speak for the majority of the hams on the forum when I say thanks