K9DTC Misrepresented Radio/sold as new and lied

For reports of scammers using other people's callsigns. Remember that any callsigns listed in this forum are likely innocent bystanders (subjects of identity theft) and, thus, are probably not guilty of anything. For bad transactions with verified ham operators, use the Feedback Forum instead.
kl4oy

K9DTC Misrepresented Radio/sold as new and lied

Post by kl4oy »

K9DTC (Dan) sold me a IC-2730 as "NEW IN BOX" for $240.

https://swap.qth.com/view_ad.php?counter=1442291

It came with dust on it, several repeaters programmed in, missing mic holder and the box was obviously repacked. I'm not sure if he didn't like it and just sold it or if he's been using for years. No idea because Dan hasn't been honest with me. I tested the output power and it doesn't go over 40watts, not the 50 it should be...

I disputed through paypal but the paypal dispute center closed the issue due to "Delivery confirmed"

I'm okay keeping the radio but a new IC-2730A is $256 on hamradio.com with a $20 MIR right now, so I'm thinking I should have spent the extra $16 and avoided Dan.

Dan won't respond to emails so I've initiated a charge-back via my bank. Thank Dan, as a new Ham this is exactly what the hobby is to me now.
w0bkr

Re: K9DTC Misrepresented Radio/sold as new and lied

Post by w0bkr »

You always want to see a "boxed" radio out of the box with a few pics. Dust is a non issue but actual physical is good to know by actually seeing something vs something in a closed box. GL hope you get is all sorted out.