Scammer(s) claiming to be KR0W and VE3BGE

For reports of scammers using other people's callsigns. Remember that any callsigns listed in this forum are likely innocent bystanders (subjects of identity theft) and, thus, are probably not guilty of anything. For bad transactions with verified ham operators, use the Feedback Forum instead.
W7XU

Scammer(s) claiming to be KR0W and VE3BGE

Post by W7XU »

I recently posted an amp for sale on QTH.com. I received a reply from someone claiming to be Lynn R Schroeder, with an email address of kr0w.lynn@gmail.com. The reply, incidentally, was a direct email reply, not one through QTH.com.

In an exchange of emails, he said he wanted to buy the amp but wanted some additional pictures of the amp first. I was going to provide them, but then he said that he wanted a photo with his call sign by the amp. He said his call sign was VE3BGE. That seemed strange, given his email address, so I asked for his phone number so we could talk about any questions he might have. I've received no further communication from him.

I had no contact information for the real KR0W, but was able to reach VE3BGE. VE3BGE confirmed that it was not he who had been emailing me.

I suspect the scammer wanted to create a bogus listing for the amp while attempting to pass himself off as VE3BGE. The photos he was looking to get from me would have been used to lend credence to his claim of actually having the amp on hand.