Scammed via Western Union? You may get some money back!

For reports of scammers using other people's callsigns. Remember that any callsigns listed in this forum are likely innocent bystanders (subjects of identity theft) and, thus, are probably not guilty of anything. For bad transactions with verified ham operators, use the Feedback Forum instead.
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Scammed via Western Union? You may get some money back!

Post by KA9FOX »

If you lost money to a scammer who had you pay using Western Union between January 1, 2004 and January 19, 2017, you can now file a claim to get at least some of your money back. See this website:

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/cases-p ... ement-faqs

What is this case about?
For years, many people who lost money to scams sent their payment through a Western Union wire transfer. Scammers contacted people and promised prizes, loans, jobs, discounted products or other financial rewards in exchange for money upfront. They also pretended to be family members in need of cash or law enforcement officers demanding payment. The scammers told people to send money through Western Union. No one received the cash, prizes or services they were promised. Because of joint investigations by the FTC, the Department of Justice (DOJ), and the U. S. Postal Inspection Service, Western Union agreed to pay $586 million and admitted to aiding and abetting wire fraud. DOJ is now using that money to provide refunds to people who were tricked into using Western Union to pay scammers.

What is the deadline to submit a claim?
The deadline to file a claim has been extended to May 31, 2018.

Who is eligible to submit a claim?
If you sent money to a scammer through Western Union between January 1, 2004 and January 19, 2017, you can submit a claim.

Do I need an attorney to file a claim?
No, you do not need an attorney to file a claim.

Will I definitely get my money back?
Each person’s claim must be verified by DOJ. If your claim is verified, the amount you get will depend on how much you lost and the number of people who submit valid claims. Only the amount you transferred via Western Union is eligible for a refund. Other expenses like Western Union fees, other losses, or transfers sent through other businesses are not eligible for a refund.

What kinds of scams are covered by these refunds?
A wide variety of scams may be covered by this settlement, including:
* Online or internet scams – you did not receive the items you tried to buy online
(other scams deleted -- the one above is what applies to hams)

Can I submit a claim if I didn't report the fraud to Western Union?
Yes, if you meet the other eligibility requirements.

This is just some of the info copy and pasted from the official website. For more information, please go to :

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/cases-p ... ement-faqs

73 - Scott KA9FOX