Ongoing eBay Scams For Baofeng HT's

For reports of scammers using other people's callsigns. Remember that any callsigns listed in this forum are likely innocent bystanders (subjects of identity theft) and, thus, are probably not guilty of anything. For bad transactions with verified ham operators, use the Feedback Forum instead.
W0HJW

Ongoing eBay Scams For Baofeng HT's

Post by W0HJW »

Hi All,

I just wanted to alert everyone that there are multiple (40+) scams going on right now on eBay for Baofeng UV-5R's and Baofeng BF-888 handi-talkies. These HT's are not expensive - the going price for a UV-5R is about $30-$40 and for the BF-888 is about $15.

There are multiple listings now for UV-5R's for $9.99 (some are even for TWO units for $9.99). There are also multiple listings now for BF-888's for under $5 (the best I found was TWO units for $3.73). Some showed a seller in China but most showed sellers in the U.S. with ZERO Seller Feedback and the seller was only an eBay member for a week or two. There were also some obviously hijacked inactive sellers that look legitimate but are not.

Since it is eBay I guess PayPal will be eating the cost because more than 500 buyers have already fallen for these scams. IF IT LOOKS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE - IT IS!!!

73, Harold W0HJW