More Scammers (Possibly) !!

For reports of scammers using other people's callsigns. Remember that any callsigns listed in this forum are likely innocent bystanders (subjects of identity theft) and, thus, are probably not guilty of anything. For bad transactions with verified ham operators, use the Feedback Forum instead.
W9HH

More Scammers (Possibly) !!

Post by W9HH »

Watch out for this...

I removed a posted item yesterday due to what I believe were several scam attempts. The deal is that they use a call sign from a QRZ.com un-managed listing and contact you faking that persons identity from the listing by email. There is no email address listed for an un-managed qrz.com record making it more difficult for you to verify if they're legitimate. Both times the party tried to get me to ship to an address that conflicted with the QRZ.com listing.

Both times I asked for a picture of their current QSL card or to edit the QRZ page with their "updated" addresses. One person declined the deal immediately, not including my verification request in the email thread and the other never replied at all.

Obviously the dodge is to send you money and then claim they never received the merchandise you shipped to them. Later a claim is filed with paypal to get their money back and keep your what you sold them.

As a seller Iv'e jumped through lots of hoops to make a buyer comfortable when dealing with me through this site and I have no problem with that. There are lots of characters out there that will steel you blind if you're not careful - that being said...

Always do your homework and make sure you know who your dealing with. If they won't provide you with a little identity information to feel comfortable as the seller, then you probably don't want to deal with them anyway-

W9HH - Steve