Another repeat scammer heads-up

For reports of scammers using other people's callsigns. Remember that any callsigns listed in this forum are likely innocent bystanders (subjects of identity theft) and, thus, are probably not guilty of anything. For bad transactions with verified ham operators, use the Feedback Forum instead.
W7GIF

Another repeat scammer heads-up

Post by W7GIF »

Scammer answering "want" post, fraudulently representing himself as K8OWL asks for USPS money order payment to: Mary Withrow, 2711 Linden St, Parkersburg, WV. Surely with this sort of payee info, the feds can collar this perp. ID theft, mail fraud, internet fraud...all seem to be credible counts constituting federal crime.

W7GIF
kj4fz

Re: Another repeat scammer heads-up

Post by kj4fz »

I got taken by sending a USPS money order to this person at this address. Mike Maynard, KJ4FZ.
W8TRN

Post by W8TRN »

I just got burned for $60. But have any of you notified the police and attempted to file a crime report? Simply bitching about it does not get these folks (is one or more??) in the crossbar motel. Tomorrow, I will get with the county police department in Parkersburg and see if I can file a formal complaint. Out here in Colorado, the complaint is call a "Crime Report". Mike C
W8TRN

Post by W8TRN »

I recently was burned by someone posing as K8OWL with instructions to send a money order to Mary Lithrow. I fell for the scam and, of course, did not receive the merchandise. Well, with info that I provided, including a signed/cashed money order by Mary L, a detective from Parkersburg is on it. When I initially reported the incident, the police officer said "we have Mary in our system". He would not elaborate. Forturnately, the money involved will not pay for a couple of meals at the local Colonel Sanders. But John Q. Law is on the case. Mike C W8TRN