W3YCX - Another Scam

For reports of scammers using other people's callsigns. Remember that any callsigns listed in this forum are likely innocent bystanders (subjects of identity theft) and, thus, are probably not guilty of anything. For bad transactions with verified ham operators, use the Feedback Forum instead.
w0bkr

W3YCX - Another Scam

Post by w0bkr »

Name: Alex Backus
Callsign: W3YCX
E-mail: adexbackusrentals001@outlook.com
IP Address: 47.219.40.102 -- (Check IP at http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/47.219.40.102)

The response is:

Hello, I am interested in buying your Item.How long have you owned it and Why are you selling it? I will like to see more available pictures and How much are you asking for it?.Do you accept (Certified Check) as a mode of payment? Regards

Callsign is bogus and oddly enough, IP is in Texas.....

Do your homework guys....
N1QCR

Re: W3YCX - Another Scam

Post by N1QCR »

Just got the same thing in response to a few of my ads on here. One of which is a box of books and manuals.... So I wrote the scammer back telling him it was a box of old books thats taking up space...
Also told him that he should at least try harder and pick an active call sign.

1sr email from scammer:
Name: Alex Backus
Callsign: W3YCX
E-mail: adexbackusrentals001@outlook.com
IP Address: 47.219.40.102 -- (Check IP at http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/47.219.40.102)

The response is:

Hello, I am interested in buying your Item.How long have you owned it and Why are you selling it? I will like to see more available pictures and How much are you asking for it?.Do you accept (Certified Check) as a mode of payment? Regards

--------------------------------------------------------
For your reference, here is a copy of the ad you are responding to:

Listing Number: 1277822

His follow up to my calling him out:

Am glad to hear back and the mint condition of the (Item) and i want you to know that my payment method doesn't change which is bank certified check and the final asking price. Also get back to me with your full name and contact address as well as your cell phone number so that i can mail the check payment out to you on time.. I hope to hear from you soonest today..
w0bkr

Post by w0bkr »

Now his name is Adex...LOL. I told him it was rare radio worth minimum of $500,000.

Response.

Adex Backus

1:59 AM (12 hours ago)

to me

Am glad to hear back and the mint condition of the (Item) and i want you to know that my payment method doesn't change which is bank certified check and the final asking price. Also get back to me with your full name and contact address as well as your cell phone number so that i can mail the check payment out to you on time.. I hope to hear from you soonest today..

Regard
K5SL

Post by K5SL »

Yeah,,,I just got those emails last 2 days responding to amp ad I have up...It looked wrong after a W3 couldn't spell "soonest" Hi....Thanks Guys ...He 's a scammer swimming in the QTH ads...Randy K5SL
w0bkr

Post by w0bkr »

Next I expect the name to be Ajax.....LOL
What a doofus...
w0bkr

Post by w0bkr »

Possible another scam from yet another "Alex". N1XAV

Guy contacted me about a rcvr I have for sale:

i would like to buy this from you.Let me know if you still have it.........

1. No mention of questions
2. No mention of payment methods
3. No phone number either provided or requested...

So after two days or non responses about his payment (I never ship or prep to ship without payment (cleared) in hand first), I finally get this response...

I already purchased a Kenwood. Not sure if I received your earlier emails ?

So, if it doesn't feel right, smell right, don't proceed. Not sure if this was a scam but certainly comes across as one when so instantly eager to state "would like to buy" with no particulars and then play silent for days and then come back with "earlier emails" which, BTW, have read receipts....

Be careful out there...lots of scammers and wanna be scammers...
N1XAV

Post by N1XAV »

I am Alex, N1XAV, I am not a scammer. I did buy a Kenwood radio so I was unable to buy your item. I have purchased many things on QTH and don't want your post to give people the wrong impression. Feel free to contact me with any concerns.
w0bkr

Post by w0bkr »

Please re-read the posts...someone posting as "alex" under the callsign is using your callsign to attempt to scam. None suggested the readio N1XAV was scamming. Do your homework before you respond to an offering.
N1XAV

Post by N1XAV »

All good here, I enjoy all the fine people here on QTH, have purchased many fine things from the greater ham community. I'll make sure i do my homework next time..... :wink:
k3ac

Post by k3ac »

I think I may have been dealing with a scammer using callsign of N1XAV, with the correct name of Alex J. MacDonald. He was advertising on QTH looking for a DX-160 receiver. I responded to him, answered a question and sending photos. He said it was exactly what he was looking for, promised to pay me via PP, and requested me send him an invoice for the charges, which I did. He was responding to my emails very quickly, but once I sent him the invoice I didn't hear back from him. I wrote to him asking if he received my invoice and he said he did, and would send payment the following day. I never heard back from him again. If the real N1XAV is reading this, you may want to keep an eye on QTH looking for this scammer and post "WARNING" posts that this lowlife is posing as you, and scamming guys on QTH. I'm not sure what he derives from doing this since no one in their right mind is going to send him a radio without paying, but I guess he just gets his jollies from doing this? Hopefully the QTH administrator will have some way to screen fro this guy and anyone else who uses QTH for scamming. If I hadn't checked the feedback forum, I never would have figured things out.

Bob, K3AC
N1XAV

Post by N1XAV »

Hello Bob,
Thanks for the nice DX160 and speaker, very happy with the purchase and your prompt delivery. It is a shame that there is someone out there using my callsign, really don't know how to defend against this crap. I can tell you this, I always use paypal for payment and would never expect someone to send me something in advance of payment. I have never had a problem with any of the sellers on this fine site. Thanks....The Real N1XAV....Alex
k3ac

Post by k3ac »

Re: N1XAV. I am posting a follow-up thread to clear up the issue of my recent encounter with a scammer posing as Alex, N1XAV. The 'real' Alex is an honest, genuine person and my recent transaction with him, in which he purchased a shortwave radio from me, went smoothly with no problems. Alex paid me promptly, and communicated with me quickly to let let me know he had received the radio. I don't know who is using his callsign to scam on QTH, but I wanted to set the record straight that the real N1XAV is an honest, trustworthy person and I would do business with him again without reservation. - Bob, K3AC