W5LM. -- A Scammer is using our callsign....

For reports of scammers using other people's callsigns. Remember that any callsigns listed in this forum are likely innocent bystanders (subjects of identity theft) and, thus, are probably not guilty of anything. For bad transactions with verified ham operators, use the Feedback Forum instead.
n5zxj

W5LM. -- A Scammer is using our callsign....

Post by n5zxj »

We have been made aware of a scammer using the Temple Amateur Radio Club call sign, W5LM....

Be vigilant I yall have been.... I don't think you have to send me an email as we are aware....

Suggest replying to the email of the scammer letting him know that you know he is using someone else's callsign...

From what I understand the scammers IP address comes out of South Africa...

Name: Jacob
Callsign: W5LM
E-mail: jlewis196154@gmail.com
IP Address: 41.144.48.146 -- (Check IP at https://ipinfo.io/41.144.48.146)

We are aware of this as I have received no less than 800 emails in 24 hours regarding the scammer trying to buy or sell equipment.....

I am in the process of working with some folks to put an end to this...

Will not be an easy task to get this terminated but I am working on it

Thank you to those who have let me know.

Gerald de N5ZXJ
n5zxj

Re: W5LM. -- A Scammer is using our callsign....

Post by n5zxj »

Folks....

Make contact with this scammer and ask him to provide a copy of the Federal Communications license issued to him under call sign. W5LM

You might also let him know that you have contacted Google about his fradulent attempts to defraud people....

Let me know if you do that and if you get a reply from him...

Please reply here and not let me up with tons of email as I have only received better than 800 different emails from people selling from both qth and qrz

Thanks

Gerald N5ZXJ
WB4VMH

Re: W5LM. -- A Scammer is using our callsign....

Post by WB4VMH »

Folks, I too have been contacted by the supposedly W5LAM "Jacob Lewis". He attempted to defraud me on my sale of an Amplifier. I communicated with him numerous times and the conversations just did not add up. Suddenly the payment method was being changed and I recognized the Scam he or it was running. Watch out for this person and get him or it to prove he is a ham. FYI.... W5L's QRZ.com did not have any notice of any fraudulent activity but now does. Keep an eye out on the Method of Payment then suddenly switched with you having to cash a check and send a balance of money to someone else......