Scam Alert using W5SW

For reports of scammers using other people's callsigns. Remember that any callsigns listed in this forum are likely innocent bystanders (subjects of identity theft) and, thus, are probably not guilty of anything. For bad transactions with verified ham operators, use the Feedback Forum instead.
w5qwx

Scam Alert using W5SW

Post by w5qwx »

I have a ad "Looking for PB-2478A Local Board" on QTH. I just received an e-mail which I traced the IP to South Africa. The guy wanted to know what my prices were for radios I had on QTH. He was using W5SW call sign for which the name did not match and no e-mail listed for that call. I told the guy called "Richard" that I did not have radios for sale and was sorry he did not understand my ad. The reason I was thought something was not right, was the wording and English gramer used in the e-mail. Sure enough, the IP address came back as a South African IP. I have no way to contact the real W5SW, so this guy might try again on this site using the same call. I did let him know I thought he was a scammer :lol: You guys be careful and check the IP of the emails you receive.

Dave de W5QWX
Dave W5QWX ticket since 1957 ex W5MKC ex K7VZS Hold General Radio Telephone (was 1st Class Telephone w/Radar Endorsement) since 1965