Scammy message from someone using AA8EQ

For reports of scammers using other people's callsigns. Remember that any callsigns listed in this forum are likely innocent bystanders (subjects of identity theft) and, thus, are probably not guilty of anything. For bad transactions with verified ham operators, use the Feedback Forum instead.
wb4iuy

Scammy message from someone using AA8EQ

Post by wb4iuy »

I just got a typical scammy message from someone claiming to be DWAYNE W FRYE AA8EQ (from the "reply" column). The typical scammy message, seen a zillion times in the past, said only: "I have for sale. Are you still interested?" .

DWAYNE W FRYE AA8EQ is in QRZ as an unmanaged address, the types of calls these scammers often seem to pose as. I've been unable to reach the "real" AA8EQ, but this person in the email sure seems not be Dwayne, but instead fit the typical scammer MO, thus far.

Does anyone know the real AA8EQ?

Dave WB4IUY
frye9686

Re: Scammy message from someone using AA8EQ

Post by frye9686 »

I am the real Dwayne W. Frye, call sign AA8EQ, living in Orlando but THE ADD POSTED TO SELL AN AMPLIFIER IS NOT LEGIT - IT IS A SCAM FROM A HACKER.
Someone is posing with my call sign and home address in an attempt to scam $ from fellow HAM operators. Please do not send any money as I have not advertised to sell any of my equipment. While my license is current, I have moved ( nature of active duty military) multiple times during the past few years, and have not been active on the air for several years ( ever since my father W09H) passed away....
I had to return mail one money order to WA6RIY today due to this scam, so please do NOT send me your hard earned $, as I am selling nothing.
I earnestly apologize for any inconvenience or distress this issue may have caused any of my fellow amateur radio operators.
73's,
Dwayne Frye
AA8EQ
wb4iuy

Post by wb4iuy »

Hi Dwayne,

Good to hear from the "real" AA8EQ :-) . Usually, these scammers will engage you in a conversation and immediately tell you some story about being elsewhere and want you to send the $$ to them at their other home, vacation location, etc. It's kinda their MO. Someone probably really wanted whatever they claimed to be selling and just shot $$ off to the QRZ address before the scammer set the hooks, good thing it actually went to the honest and actual AA8EQ, instead of elsewhere.

These scammers also seem to target calls with QRZ pages that are unmanaged and with additional information, making it harder for folks to verify. They usually make up email addresses that look real by using the person's call and name in the email address. I get them almost every time I post a "wanted" ad.

I'm glad you found out about this and are aware of it. Take care es 73!

Dave WB4IUY
wa6riy

Post by wa6riy »

I had a very nice phone conversation with the real AA8EQ Dwayne Frye. Some one used his call letters to scam me.
My hats off to Dwayne for his honesty.
Mike wa6riy