False accusations

For reports of scammers using other people's callsigns. Remember that any callsigns listed in this forum are likely innocent bystanders (subjects of identity theft) and, thus, are probably not guilty of anything. For bad transactions with verified ham operators, use the Feedback Forum instead.
kw4pz

False accusations

Post by kw4pz »

Somebody help me understand this: if you initiate a question about an item for sale on QTH and you bring up different payment options other than what the seller stated, does that make you a scammer? Do people often jump the gun and accuse others of being scammers without true reasons? Does this happen on QTH often? Can someone give me alternatives for payment besides the archaic and dangerous Money order? It's honestly frustrating to me....

Scott
N9LCD

Re: False accusations

Post by N9LCD »

Scott:

Suggesting a different payment option does not automatically make you a scammer.

Yes, people on all three ham websites "jump the gun" on screaming "SCAM" without a readily apparent reason. However, they may have been scammed or have a "close call" with a scammer. Or, maybe when they were kids, they always saw the boogey man in the dark.

THERE IS NO ABSOLUTELY "SCAM PROOF" PAYMENT METHOD!

IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW A METHOD OF PAYMENT WORKS AND HOW IT CAN BE USED AGAINST YOU, DON'T USE IT.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE BUREAU OF PRINTING & ENGRAVING "LONG GREEN" BEFORE SHIPPING.

I prefer USPS money orders. One, they have fairly good built-in security features. Two, your local post office can validate the money order for you (is it a genuine piece of paper) or cash it for you.

I also take personal checks (or money orders, cashiers checks, etc.) on the "nationwide" banks - Chase, BofA, FifthThird, etc. that have a branch near me and cash them at the nearest branch. (It'll cost you a few dollars.)

ABOVE ALL, DO NOT DEVELOP THE "I GOTTA TO HAVE IT" ATTITUDE. IT"LL SERIOUSLY CLOUD YOUR JUDGMENT.

N9LCD