VE1BMJ Scammer Alert

For reports of scammers using other people's callsigns. Remember that any callsigns listed in this forum are likely innocent bystanders (subjects of identity theft) and, thus, are probably not guilty of anything. For bad transactions with verified ham operators, use the Feedback Forum instead.
w5wi

VE1BMJ Scammer Alert

Post by w5wi »

If you see an ad posted by VE1BMJ Daniel Gaum, of Halifax, Nova Scotia BEWARE! I thought I was purchasing a MFJ-998 Automatic Tuner from him. He said he was going back to using a manual tuner with his AL-82 amplifier. He said he needed money and was selling other ham gear including an FT-1000MP radio. If he wasn't a ham radio operator he knew radios and other equipment pretty convincingly...

I should have known better. I first sent him payment using the business purchase side of PayPal. This gave me protection. But, the seller (above) was very concerned and said he could not get his money for 21 days. Of course, he was concerned that he'd have to pay the seller's fee... I cancelled the payment and told him I was concerned because the email he used to correspond with me.. danielve1bmj@yahoo.com was not the same one he used for payment. He used the email address haildanov94@gmail.com for PayPal address. He said that he and an apprentice ham had set this email account up. Yep, I should have ran, but I really wanted the tuner..

So, I told him I could not pay him 100% for the tuner, but would pay a percentage down and pay the balance on receipt. Like a fool I sent him $150 using the "family and friends" PayPal option. A couple hours after doing so he emailed me that he had sold the tuner and I shouldn't contact him again. Of course, he denied ever receiving my $150. PayPal says he was paid and he has since refused to answer any emails from me. I have turned the situation over to Halifax, NS Police, but I doubt I'll ever see the money again.

So, my advice is... If it smells bad leave it alone!
w5wi

Re: VE1BMJ Scammer Alert

Post by w5wi »

I would like to state that someone using the callsign WE1BMJ and the name Daniel Gaum is a scammer. I have spoken to the real Mr. Gaum via email and he is a respectable citizen of Halifax, NS and an active club member there.

Please Google VE1BMJ and you will see that others have been scammed also by this guy!

dale W5WI
KK2L

Post by KK2L »

I am going to have to update this warning as of today. VE1OC has this posting, Listing #1586165 FOR SALE: ELAD FDM-DUO for an outrageous low price $450. You know when it's too good to be true, it most likely is. I exchanged e-mails with this person, whoever they are, and they agreed to a PayPal G & S sale which would offer me some protection but who needs the aggravation. I checked the feedback listings just in case and came up with these prior reports. Be advised this listing is current and LIVE right now.

Mark
KK2L
KK2L

Post by KK2L »

BTW, VE1OC AND VE1BMJ are associated either as brothers or Father and Son and there are no posted e-mails on their QRZ pages to independently confirm the veracity of this post. They seem to live next to each other.

KK2L