scam by WB4ROD

For reports of scammers using other people's callsigns. Remember that any callsigns listed in this forum are likely innocent bystanders (subjects of identity theft) and, thus, are probably not guilty of anything. For bad transactions with verified ham operators, use the Feedback Forum instead.
NormB

scam by WB4ROD

Post by NormB »

a SK who passed away in Feb 2012, yet somehow has offered two radios for sale on QRZ this past week.
Saw a deal for a FLEX 6300, emailed, said I was very interested, could have money out same day but got a strange answer to the email, a phone number that didn't add up, SK's wife in Virginia, but found online obituary showing wife's name was different. Ad was pulled as soon as I emailed.

I called, couldn't get through. Looked number up online and it was to a VOIP service out of Kentucky. That kind of made sense. Finally DID get through , a LOT of static and background noises, language? Couldn't hear or understand "Mary" at the other end. Sounded west african. (I'm a doctor near DC, I hear a LOT of accents). Email answers started reading oddly, stilted, like a non-native speaker was writing them.

Wrote that she was staying with her daughter in VA, but why didn't daughter - a nurse - have a cell phone?

Weirder and weirder, then the ONE question I had for his "wife" was, How did he buy a radio new in Nov 2014 when he passed nearly 2 years earlier.

No answer to THAT email.

I've notified QRZ, posted under scams there, also reported to the FCC with link to online obituary.

Even stranger, "wife" - original one - edited her QRZ page to reflect that they had divorced and she had nothing to do with this deal. Same kind of oddly stilted grammar and verbiage. Non-native speaker. WA4ROA

Just didn't pass the smell test, and I'm not going to send two grand without talking with the person.

FYI.

Norm
K3NB