More Scammer Information

For reports of scammers using other people's callsigns. Remember that any callsigns listed in this forum are likely innocent bystanders (subjects of identity theft) and, thus, are probably not guilty of anything. For bad transactions with verified ham operators, use the Feedback Forum instead.
WB8FVO

More Scammer Information

Post by WB8FVO »

It seems a new group of scammers are looking up calls that are not managed on sites like QRZ and using the data or lack of data to pick names and call letters to be used for scams. I received three attempted scams in one day. All answering a want ad I have running on several sites. They used the first name of the licensee followed by the call letters at a gmail.com address.(Example:rogerxy1zzz@gmail.com) When I tried to verify the call letters and email address on Qrz, all three were unmanaged listings with no hidden email address for registered members to view and confirm. There was no listed way to contact these operators. This allows the scammer to make up an identity using that call, name and fake email address that can't be verified on Qrz or other sites. My advise to all, register your email and information on Qrz and other like sites. Other registered users of that site, can then verify your email and contact you, if necessary . Your email address cannot be seen by the general public. You need not use your main email address. You should use one that you check on a regular basis. This will keep you safer from being targeted by scammers looking for someone that can't easily be contacted for verification. If you are one of those people that fear putting your email address on Amateur radio sites, you are making it easier for your identity to be stolen by scammers.