KA6COP / KE6PB Scam Alert

For reports of scammers using other people's callsigns. Remember that any callsigns listed in this forum are likely innocent bystanders (subjects of identity theft) and, thus, are probably not guilty of anything. For bad transactions with verified ham operators, use the Feedback Forum instead.
K9RLB

KA6COP / KE6PB Scam Alert

Post by K9RLB »

Recently bought radio from scammer calling himself "George Kirkman" and going by KE6PB. Using KE6PB and KA6COP @ gmail.com. Yes, they set up a Paypal account, too. Their trick is to take payment, create a UPS shipping number....then..... that's it. Nothing ever goes to UPS, no equipment ever goes anywhere, period. Then the scammer stalls as long as possible, making up stories about UPS and a ship store, and so on and on and on.
I spoke with the son of KA6COP and his father is not selling any radio equipment, in fact, he passed away some time ago.
There is also another "George Kirkman" with a different call sign, he has nothing to do with any of it, just happens to have same name in same city (Very Large city of LA) -
The son of KA6COP will be contacting fcc to update database on his fathers call sign, which I am thankful for. Paypal also has the information on the situation, so if you paid the scammer and have yet to file and escalate you claim you might want to get the process started.
Know your seller, or use Paypal - I am glad I did. It is inconvenient but better than losing to a fraud.
W5JDF

Re: KA6COP / KE6PB Scam Alert

Post by W5JDF »

Unfortunately, I am also a victim of this scammer. I purchased a radio, paying through PayPal. I got UPS Tracking No. through PayPal. To date UPS only shows that the label was created. I exchanged email back and forth claiming problems with UPS from 7/13 until 7/25. Thanks for getting the info on the KA6COP call that was the clue that had me escalate the dispute to a claim with PayPal. I am going to provide the information you gave here to PayPal in support of my claim. I also second knowing your seller or using PayPal. In retrospect there was a couple of red flags I missed such as the listing date of KE6PB with QRZ and the last update of the QRZ page all in July, 2015. I know many sellers do not want to use PayPal because of the fees. My suggestion is to price your items to cover what you want for something, plus the fees. Frankly, I want buy unless I know someone or they accept PayPal! Thanks again for the infomation.

Jerry W5JDF
Jerry W5JDF
W1LVL

Post by W1LVL »

I also was scammed for the TS-790A. Fake UPS shipping label etc just like above. Have filed with PayPal

George W1LVL
KG7UZQ

Post by KG7UZQ »

I too, have been ripped off by this individual.

He had an FT 2900 for $75.00 and I contacted him. After several emails and one phone conversation, I paid through PayPal, and guess what.....no radio.

Bob KG7UZQ
meliot

Post by meliot »

I'm a victim too - He called me, well spoken, seemed refined and educated - definitely spoke the ham language. Sent extra pictures, then after a couple days after payment started having severe health issues as per several email exchanges. I asked twice for shipping information and never received anything. Scum of the earth - Karma will find you! I cross referenced his phone number and came up with the other callsign and ad on QTH.com

Paid through pay-pal.

Mark
AC5RN
W5MF

Post by W5MF »

I almost got ripped off by this guy too. Lucky for me that I didn't buy anything.

This is the phone number he gave me:

George Seaman [mailto:ka6cop@gmail.com]
Subject: Re: QTH.COM Ad -- Kenwood TS-790 2M/70cm/1....

my phone number is 213-265-8823
N8FVJ

Post by N8FVJ »

I was also scammed. Performed a call sign search on this site & nothing negative came up. Due to this am starting up a service that will stop scammers dead in their tracks.