K5AH Imposter Still At It

For reports of scammers using other people's callsigns. Remember that any callsigns listed in this forum are likely innocent bystanders (subjects of identity theft) and, thus, are probably not guilty of anything. For bad transactions with verified ham operators, use the Feedback Forum instead.
W4BRX

K5AH Imposter Still At It

Post by W4BRX »

I was looking for Drake receiver this week. Someone posing as K5AH Edward Hoffman, made me offer but pictures of the receiver were taken from someone else's active Ebay listing. This scammer is well documented here but keeps trying.
kd4lyh

Re: K5AH Imposter Still At It

Post by kd4lyh »

Im waiting for one of these scammers to scam the wrong person some day and see what happens.
belltech

Post by belltech »

I was going to send some very nasty substance to his drop person (Maryjo Mellor of 5700 windy gorge street. Las Vegas) but decided not to for legal reasons, but wish someone who had actually ben scammed by him would swear out a warrant in Nevada against him and his friend.
KF7SAG

Post by KF7SAG »

Well, he or she or it got me. It was not a brilliant move on my part to not look up the call sign to see about complaints. I was too excited to have someone say they had what I was looking for, and threw my logical thinking out the back door. I've been hoping to find a Stone Mountain Engineering-made QSY'er for my ICOM 735 after coming back into Amateur Radio after 20 years. Another scammer tried to get me, too, but I didn't fall for that one.

We need to use all this wonderful technology we have available to us and trace this person's E-Mails, IP addresses and whatever else leaves a virtual fingerprint. If people can steal other peoples' identities every 5 seconds so easily, we should be able to find a scammer or two that's focusing on Ham Operators.
sra639

Post by sra639 »

Beware scammer using call sign K5AH
I have an ad on QTH, I'm looking for a Mosley MP-33 WARC antenna.
I was contacted by somebody using the name Edward Hoffman with the call sign K5AH
When I replied asking for a picture & info, I never got a response.
So the old saying goes Buyer Beware.
N9SRA
ab8jh

Post by ab8jh »

I posted on QRZ.com also with this information. I too was sent an email by someone who I believe is masquerading as K5AH. If you have lost an item and/or cash to this person, please consider filing a complaint with the FBI on their Internet Crime Complaint Center at https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx. Since this scam is interstate in nature it clearly falls under their jusrisdiction.

Roger AB8JH