BILL MURRAY W9VC POTENTIAL SCAM

For reports of scammers using other people's callsigns. Remember that any callsigns listed in this forum are likely innocent bystanders (subjects of identity theft) and, thus, are probably not guilty of anything. For bad transactions with verified ham operators, use the Feedback Forum instead.
kd8fzh

BILL MURRAY W9VC POTENTIAL SCAM

Post by kd8fzh »

Bill Murray Scam W9VC CALLSIGN UTILIZED, BUT IP was traced to Australia. Please read for any advise would be acceptable. Most importantly, I have a cashiers check for $822.50, from Sun-Trust Bank. The purchaser is John Martin. Details of this situation are as follows:

I received a check today from SunTrust Bank which looks authentic. However, the payer is John Martin, and not Bill Murray, amateur radio call-sign W9VC. Therefore, I am asking fellow hams what to do? Here is a copy-pasted correspondence between this individual and myself, which seems to be rather spooky to say the least. Then, after you read this, please keep in mind until this point; it seems rather a legitimate deal. But, then it takes a turn where the buyer indicates his secretary has sent the wrong amount.

Specifically, the buyer claiming to be Bill Murray Amateur Radio Call Sign, W9VC, sent a follow-up e-mail claiming that his secretary accidently sent the wrong amount. I was then notified by this individual to keep $20.00 out of the check for my honesty, and likewise, send the remainder back to him via Western Union. ]

My question is: do I attempt to contact this person to ask where to send the money order to, or void the check for my protection? Or, should I contact the legal authorities and Sun-Trust Bank? Please, all amateur radio operators, I need advise on this matter because I am not going to engage in any illegal activity that could get me in trouble with the F.C.C., QTH.COM Legal Authorities, God, Jesus, and other interested parties. This makes me a little nervous to receive a valid cashier’s check from Sun Trust Bank from Jim Martin, and not Bill Murray. Furthermore, I believe Bill Murray should also be notified of this incident, including, Scott the administer and owner of QTH.COM. Likewise, I request any one with any advise to contact me by e-mail at
wylcradio@hotmail.com
Or, phone at 1-304-697-0527.

Mark A. Clay S.R.
5666 LYNN CREEK ROAD
HUNTINGTON, W.V. 25704
AMATEUR RADIO STATION: KD8FZH

If you receive a voice mail, then please leave a call-back number where I can call you.

Most important, I am not a thief, I would accept a gift from someone, however, not in an unprofessional
manner as such to depict the transaction utilizing a fellow ham who I do not know. In essence, as a professional amateur radio operator, I have an obligation to refuse money for products sold utilizing means of identity theft of an active ham who seems to have some problem with people attempting to harass him with spamming, identity theft, and any other unauthorized means of engaging in illegal and-or unethical monetary transactions.

Again, I ask, whether I should I just destroy the cashier’s check, write VOID on it and utilize it for a collector’s item, or attempt to send it back to the originating person who failed to provide a return address on his envelope. You realize that any person with adequate sense would place a return address on an envelope containing $822.50. What about a framing analogy? If I send this back to the person indicated per address provided to the individual in Virginia, could they, perhaps, cash the check then hold me responsible. This could be a tactic to frame me. Therefore, please advise? It would seem rather odd to send this check to another person who resides in Virginia.
Copied and pasted correspondence:

Below is recent copied and pasted communications with the person pretending to be Bill Murray.

i was informed that payment will be delivered to you today. Please deduct your money with additional $20 for your honesty.

Please send my balance via WESTERN UNION
Below is where i would love the remaining balance sent to here through western union. I called western union and i was informed that there will be a fee to send the money via WESTERN UNION,deduct this fee from my money. Please take this information below to any western union office/shop and ask them to send the money to the information:

Name : patsy hedrick
State : virginia
City : gretna
Zipcode : 24557

Copied and Pasted E-mail communications between the buyer and myself:

Payment will be mailed out to you otday
For example, I can accept 22.50 for both books.
My address is:
Mark A. Clay S.R. KD8FZH
5666 Lynn Creek Road
Huntington, W.V. 25704

-----Original Message-----
To: Bill Murray <murray843bill@aol.com>
Sent: Sat, Aug 9, 2014 5:09 pm
Subject: RE: QTH.COM Ad -- Guide to Amateur Radio Bo...
Hi Bill, I can provide a lower price for the two if purchased together, consequently, enabling shipment of both books in one package.

For example, I can accept 22.50 for both books.
My address is:
Mark A. Clay S.R. KD8FZH
5666 Lynn Creek Road
Huntington, W.V. 25704

Please send an e-mail after funds have been sent, therefore, enabling me to watch for the cashiers check to arrive in the mail.

Thanks
Sincerely:
Mark A. Clay S.R.
KD8FZH

Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2014 11:13:06 -0400

Thanks for your response, however I would love to pay by cashier check. It will be mail payment to you when I receive your name and address. You should get it within 3 to 5 working days,and please tell me how much it cost to ship to texas

-----Original Message-----
To: Bill Murray W9VC <murray843bill@aol.com>
Sent: Sat, Aug 9, 2014 3:25 am
Subject: RE: QTH.COM Ad -- Guide to Amateur Radio Bo...

Hi, yes the two books are for sale. I sold the other, however, have changed my mind and have decided these two books as well.

I prefer either Paypal or postal money orders.
The Paypal here is the same as the e-mail address: wylcradio@hotmail.com

My postal address is
Mark A. Clay S.R. KD8FZH
5666 Lynn Creek Road
Huntington, W.V. 25704
304-697-0527

Thanks
Sincerely:
Mark A. Clay S.R.
KD8FZH
> Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 08:31:11 -0500
> To: wylcradio@hotmail.com
> CC: murray843bill@aol.com
> From: no-reply@qth.com
> Subject: RE: QTH.COM Ad -- Guide to Amateur Radio Bo...
>
>
> Dear MARK A. CLAY S.R. KD8FZH,
>
> You have received a response to your ad, titled "Guide to Amateur Radio Book ", that you have running on the QTH.COM Free Ham Radio Classified Ads.
>
> BEFORE GOING ANY FURTHER, you are highly encouraged to:
> 1) Read our Scam Warnings and Safe Trading Tips at http://tips.qth.com.
> 2) Use our Feedback Forum to see if the person you are about to deal with has any good or bad feedback from previous dealings. See http://feedback.qth.com
>
> The response is from:
>
> Name: Bill Murray
> Callsign: W9VC
> E-mail: murray843bill@aol.com
> IP Address: 37.139.68.4 -- (Check IP at http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/37.139.68.4)
>
> The response is:
>
> I want to know if you still have this item available for sale. Please let me know
>
> --------------------------------------------------------
> For your reference, here is a copy of the ad you are responding to:
>
> Listing Number: 1145646
> Date Ad was Placed: 07/31/14
> Name: MARK A. CLAY S.R.
> Phone Number: 304-697-0527
> Callsign: KD8FZH
> Category: MISC
> Heading: Guide to Amateur Radio Book
> Ad Message:
> Cleaning out my bookshelf to make room for newer publications, therefore, here is a book to utilize for reference and learning. Essentially, this book would be an excellent companion for the hamshack. The Guide to Amateur Radio is a 365 Page softbound book published during 1979. This book contains considerable information pertaining to semiconductors, filters, oscillators, RF Amplifiers, power supplies, transmitters, construction of antennas, loading coils, baluns, Yagi, Helical Whip, Collinear and Parabolic antennas, the radio spectrum and propagation. Additionally, the is a chapter devoted to test equipment; voltmeters, RF Probes, Oscilloscopes, Audio Sine-wave Generators, and VSWR Meters and much more. I am asking 12.25 for this book which essentially costs nearly 5.00 just to ship. Paypal 12.25 and the book will be sent to your qth.
AB4D

Re: BILL MURRAY W9VC POTENTIAL SCAM

Post by AB4D »

Obvious scam. The whole thing has red flags all over it. The check more than likely is a forgery. You can call Sun Trust to verify, but I am sure they will tell you the check is fake. The scam is you deposit the fake check in your account, withdraw some of the funds out to send to the other party, then the check bounces and you have to eat the withdrawn funds and any fees. A lot of times, the address where funds are sent is to a house in foreclosure where the scammers stop by and take the mail ever few days. Using Western Union is even worse, untraceable. I would not do anything with the check but throw it in the trash and ignore any further emails from the scammer.

73 Jim, AB4D
N0EE

Post by N0EE »

Write void on it, take it to the post office along with the envelope it arrived in and talk to the postmaster about investigating. But no doubt a scam.
W8EK

Post by W8EK »

It sounds as if you have been scammed by the same scammer who pretended to be me.

Make sure you notify Scott, although he has probably already read this.

It appears this is the same scammer who pretended to be Cynthia, W7CKR at one point, and Mike, VA3HRO at another point, as well as myself. We have found that he uses the name John Martin to send the fake cashier's check, usually mailing them in a plain envelope with a Denver postmark.

FWIW, I have had well over 50 phone calls and e-mails from people telling me about this scammer. He is very active!

Good luck!

Ken, W8EK