Scammer Using W8EK

For reports of scammers using other people's callsigns. Remember that any callsigns listed in this forum are likely innocent bystanders (subjects of identity theft) and, thus, are probably not guilty of anything. For bad transactions with verified ham operators, use the Feedback Forum instead.
NR9R

Scammer Using W8EK

Post by NR9R »

I just received a response to an ad from someone posing as W8EK. The IP address shows up....guess where...Nigeria!

The email address used is sken3119@gmail.com. This does not match the email address listed on W8EK's QRZ.com profile.

Here is the response:
The response is from:

Name: Ken Simpson
Callsign: W8EK
E-mail: sken3119@gmail.com
IP Address: 197.242.98.186 -- (Check IP at http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/197.242.98.186)

The response is:

Hello, Good evening. I am interested in your item. If you still have it, please let me know the exact amount. I await to hear from you.

Ken Simpson, W8EK
In case this form is being abused, the IP address of the person submitting this form is: 197.242.98.186
W8EK

Re: Scammer Using W8EK

Post by W8EK »

I can confirm that someone is using my name and call sign to scam people.

For the most part, they seem to be using an e-mail address of sken3119@gmail,com, but they have used a couple others on occasion. The IP address that they started to use resolved to a location near Chicago. After Scott blocked that IP, they used another (which might be their real IP) that is in Nigeria.

They are using the old Nigerian "Cashier's Check Scam", offering to send a cashier's check for your "item", never mentioning what the item is. Then they tell you they sent too much money, and would like a refund of the overage. Of course the cashier's check will not be valid, and you will be out money plus your "item".

I should note that it appears that this might be the same scammer as the one who was using Cynthia, W7CKR, a few days ago. I say this because the wording of the emails sent seems to be exactly the same.

I would like to thank Scott very much for his help with this. Within a couple minutes of my notifying him, he had the first IP address blocked. This is above and beyond the call of duty, and very much appreciated. Thanks very much Scott.

I would also like to thank the dozen or so people who have called on the phone to inform me, and several dozen e-mails received about the scammer. The info that you provided gave additional info to Scott to help stop the scammer.

Thanks.

Ken, W8EK