Beware of Scammer Using the name of Paco Casariego of Spain

For reports of scammers using other people's callsigns. Remember that any callsigns listed in this forum are likely innocent bystanders (subjects of identity theft) and, thus, are probably not guilty of anything. For bad transactions with verified ham operators, use the Feedback Forum instead.
K6JPA

Beware of Scammer Using the name of Paco Casariego of Spain

Post by K6JPA »

I received a reply to a wanted ad that I placed here on QTH, from a person identifying himself as Paco Casariego of the Balearic Islands of Spain. I initially ignored the response, but it was followed with a series of emails and photos of an item that I had placed the wanted ad for. The photos were consecutively numbered, and seemed legitimate. Long story short, against my better judgement, I ended up sending payment, and am now out $350.00 as a result. It has been over a month since the funds were sent, and no response was received after confirmation of payment receipt to the bank account. Both the email and bank account used incorporated the Paco Casariego name, and the bank location was Spain's largest bank, with the branch being in the Balearic Islands as well.

It is important to note that I do not believe that the legitimate Paco Casariego (EA6SF) of that area of Spain is involved in any way. I have read online through translation that he has since posted that someone is using his contact information to sell ham equipment that he does not own, which I believe to be truthful. It just seems like someone else has gone through a lot of work for a relatively little theft amount, which is why I want to pass the situation to all of you.

Lesson learned. Just be careful.

73, Jim