How to deal with an UPS DAMAGE CLAIM.

Discussion of various shipping and packing methods, tips and tricks.
K4ICL

How to deal with an UPS DAMAGE CLAIM.

Post by K4ICL »

UPS will process ALL claims and will help the affected party learn their process. It is not a fun thing to do but it works.

Here are some guidelines:
  • The shipper MUST initiate the claim. The receiver has a part to play but is not responsible for initiating the claim.

UPS will contact the shipper, THEN, to see the damage item, the receiver.

UPS will request the item be shipped at their expense to their adjustment center. DON'T DO IT! (The last thing needed at this point is more damage caused by shipping the items back and fourth to their damage center!) Insist they send their agent to the receiver's location and inspect the package there. They will not like it but will do it if you insist. On rare occasions, they might ask for photos from the receiver.

UPS will ask for an estimated cost to repair the damage. This should be worked out by the receiver AND the shipper so UPS is hearing the same amount from each and any additional shipping costs to a repair person is included in the estimate.

Once UPS is satisfied they have proof of actual damage and a legitimate estimate of cost to repair, they will process payment for the damage and send it to the SHIPPER, not the receiver.

The shipper is responsible for processing the repairs. However, by mutual arrangement, the receiver could elect to have the repairs done after receiving the ENTIRE claim amount from the shipper. It is up to the shipper to decide this.

If the UPS claim payment is not enough to do the repairs properly, the SHIPPER is responsible for any additional costs. See note below.

Once this entire process is completed, the issue is closed for all parties concerned

This process takes time and concentration by all responsible parties. This means some resources will need to be dedicated by all parties to get the claim settled. There will be no "quick gratification", no joy, just a somewhat taxing set of activities we all would like to avoid. Just accept. This is how the planet works.
----

Note: Remember, it is the shipper's total responsibility to get the item to the buyer in the same condition it was in when the deal was agreed to initially. ONLY the shipper has that responsibility, NOT the buyer. If the shipper fails to get adequate insurance, it is at his risk, not the buyers risk.

K4ICL
www.k4icl.com
W1QJ

Post by W1QJ »

I HAVE NEVER (REPEAT NEVER) COLLECTED ON ANY CLAIM WITH UPS. They give the same old excuse all the time. Not packed well enough. They are the worst shipper going. I read what you had to say and it has all been done. No one bothered to come out and look at the damage. They requested a complete set of digitals which I provided. They are a bunch of crooks and morons. I use FED EX all the time and have shipped about 100 amplifiers packed the same way and never, not once, did I have damage. Someone shipped me an SB-220 in the same packaging with UPS and the amp was destroyed. The shipper shrugged his shoulders and said "I insured it" and washed his hands. I am left with a busted up mess. I say DON'T use UPS. They are the worst.
donate life
K4ICL

I quit using UPS...

Post by K4ICL »

I quit using UPS long ago. Their damage rate got to be over 20% so I now warn users to use FedEx or the USPS.

Further, if the user insists on using UPS and the package has ANY damage on the outside, I refuse the shipment. I do not have time to deal with UPS long ineffective "claim service" process.

Put another way, shipping with UPS has been totally unsatisfactory to me.

Finally, it really galls me to find UPS packages in a plastic bag hanging on my front gate instead properly delivering them as the USPS and FedEx always does.

Bottom line -- NEVER USE UPS!

AL
K9XR

Re: I quit using UPS...

Post by K9XR »

This past Monday I received a UPS shipment from Washington. I bought 2 fairly large radios (ICOM 756 and TS-870) from this W7. He took them to the UPS STORE. I paid $114.35 for them to ship them to me. The UPS STORE packed both radios in a 18 X 18 x 18 box. I don't believe that box is large enough to pack one radio, let alone two. When the box came it looked like it had been through a war. it was comprerssed (crushed) about 2" - 3" on EVERY side. I asked the driver what he would do if he received an expensive item and the packing looked like that . He told me "thet is a tough call". I also have had nothing but poor experiences with UPS claim service.

The driver told me that I didn't have to take it so I refused it. He put on the tracking record that "receiver did not want order and refused delivery". I offered to let him watch me open it and we could take pictures, but he said he was not allowed to do that. I don't know if either of the radios were damaged or not, but I really belive there is a good chance of some damage. I think for $114 they could of and should have done a much better job packing. The shipper sent me the UPS Store receipt and it has the Pack and Promise guarantee on it. We will see how good their Guarantee really is.

I do quite a bit of shipping and I quit using UPS about three years ago because of claim problems. I started using FEDEX Ground and three years and several hundred shipments later I have yet to make a claim with FEDEX.

K4ICL wrote:I quit using UPS long ago. Their damage rate got to be over 20% so I now warn users to use FedEx or the USPS.

Further, if the user insists on using UPS and the package has ANY damage on the outside, I refuse the shipment. I do not have time to deal with UPS long ineffective "claim service" process.

Put another way, shipping with UPS has been totally unsatisfactory to me.

Finally, it really galls me to find UPS packages in a plastic bag hanging on my front gate instead properly delivering them as the USPS and FedEx always does.

Bottom line -- NEVER USE UPS!

AL
W5XXL

Re: How to deal with an UPS DAMAGE CLAIM.

Post by W5XXL »

I take my items to UPS to be packed and boxed (lot cheaper than FedEx) and then go next door to ship them Fedex....
K4ICL

Re: How to deal with an UPS DAMAGE CLAIM.

Post by K4ICL »

I take my items to UPS to be packed and boxed (lot cheaper than FedEx) and then go next door to ship them Fedex....
You get what you pay for... Unfortunately, most UPS employees know nothing about packing heavy electronics.