UPS Damage Claims

Discussion of various shipping and packing methods, tips and tricks.
kg4rmd

UPS Damage Claims

Post by kg4rmd »

Just had a horrible deal with ups ,had filed a damage claim on a tuner i recieved,ups picked the tuner back up,(first mistake) as i thought it would be inspected by my local office,tuner was shipped back to the ups center where the shipment origanated from,after many days of no info from ups i place a call and was informed the damage claim was denied due to improper packing,figure to count my loss and just have tuner shipped back to me and was told ups cannot due that because they have a contract with the original shipper,Figured i would have ups fax a copy of the denial claim to my attourneys office for review and was told ups cannot do that as they have a contract with the person who shipped the package.Wow is this proper procedure,and how ups handles claims? Anyone been down this route would love to hear from you .Reamed and Gouged in Florida Thanks Jay,kg4rmd rjayhpd@aol.com
k4kk

Post by k4kk »

Yes, I've been through a similar process. UPS is right. Their contract is with the shipper. The "contract" is to ship/deliver. Some folks have figured this out and elect to prepay UPS to pickup and deliver as buyers. That makes the contract with the buyer/receiver. It also makes it much easier to collect on claims. Your claim is with the seller, not with UPS. Had you prepaid, your contract would be with UPS and you would own the claim rights for shipping damage. The seller should collect from UPS if there are damages (which you indicate were not covered). It is the responsibility of the seller to deliver a product to you. If that failed due to improper packaging, etc, then it is the seller's responsibility to make it right through either refund or shipping "same as" equipment. I would highly recommend that you pursue action against (do not read that as "legal" action immediately) the seller. Contact the seller and make a demand of satisfaction. Until you do that, you have no other action available.
Odd I/O (ksym SanAntonio)

Post by Odd I/O (ksym SanAntonio) »

k4kk wrote:Yes, I've been through a similar process. UPS is right. Their contract is with the shipper. The "contract" is to ship/deliver. Some folks have figured this out and elect to prepay UPS to pickup and deliver as buyers. That makes the contract with the buyer/receiver. It also makes it much easier to collect on claims. Your claim is with the seller, not with UPS. Had you prepaid, your contract would be with UPS and you would own the claim rights for shipping damage. The seller should collect from UPS if there are damages (which you indicate were not covered). It is the responsibility of the seller to deliver a product to you. If that failed due to improper packaging, etc, then it is the seller's responsibility to make it right through either refund or shipping "same as" equipment. I would highly recommend that you pursue action against (do not read that as "legal" action immediately) the seller. Contact the seller and make a demand of satisfaction. Until you do that, you have no other action available.
Indeed, this is all true.... To make it easier for anyone wanting to receive shipments using this method: It is known as a "Call Tag" by UPS. the recipient of the ultimate delivery issues the call tag, which gets shipped to the facility in the origin city of the merchandise. It is given to the driver for the route of the address of the merchandise and is picked up by the driver and delivered to you.
To me, music amplified with tubes is the audio equivalent of a good home cooked meal; Solid state is the audio equivalent of a meal that came from a microwave oven.