Someone help me with the math

Discussion of various shipping and packing methods, tips and tricks.
sparkchaser

Someone help me with the math

Post by sparkchaser »

Do we all know how EBay shipping charges are figured? I’m in Ohio, so worse case would be California, so that is how the shipping is figured. But the guy that lives in Indiana gets screwed with high shipping charges.

Fast forward to QTH and the other ham sites. There is two ways to list something,
1) List a price with the words, “plus shipping”. Or,
2) add the worse case shipping to the asking price and say, Price shipped.

So which is the best? Better question, which is the fairest? Obviously, the first option is the fairest. Then why do some say they want an item, and want to know the total cost shipped. So after the seller does all the leg work and emails the guy back, he says, I’ll pass. What has changed? Just the shipping added to the price of the item.
I don’t know about the rest of you guys, but I don’t have the right to determine shipping costs, it is done by our Postal Service, UPS, FED-EX, or whatever carrier you want to check on.
I have even offered the shipping weight to someone and said, you check on the cost of shipping since you don’t believe me. But no, they don’t want to do the leg work.
I think I have figured out why so much ham gear is showing up on Craigslist, it’s all local pickup!