shipping via FedEx Home Delivery

Discussion of various shipping and packing methods, tips and tricks.
KC8WUC

shipping via FedEx Home Delivery

Post by KC8WUC »

A couple of years ago I bought an antenna tuner that was shipped via FedEx Home Delivery. The seller opted for this because it was the least expensive way, which seemed reasonable. Unfortunately, when the driver came to deliver the package, I wasn't home. The hang tag indicated when they attempted to deliver, however, gave no provision for contacting them to arrange for a pick-up or say when they would try again.

I attempted to contact the driver via FedEx's Express customer service center (depot) in Akron, however, they informed me that they couldn't contact the driver. They did, however, inform me that the Home Delivery drivers are dispatched from another location in a nearby city and gave me a phone number to call. When I called they wanted to know how I got this number and why I was calling. When I explained the situation and indicated my displeasure, they seemed shocked, as they indicated that my situation was "typical" and that they don't require their drivers to carry cell phones or be connected in any way. They told me that I should probably come back the next day and possibly I could get my package.

If you ship via FedEx Home Delivery, the drivers typically dispatch from a warehouse/depot, load their packages on their vans (owned or leased by the drivers), and if unable to deliver on their first attempt, leave a hang tag on your door with no provision to contact them. FedEx doesn't require their driver's to be connected to them in any way (e.g., have cell phones, use GPS tracking or intelligent radio tracking), leaving you guessing when they will arrive and try again. Many times because the drivers own or lease their own vehicles, they may take your packages home with them and have them in their vehicles until they are delivered. [/u]
shehats

Post by shehats »

It seems that those delivery vans are not directly connected to FedEx office. They should at least have direct connection with them. Some kind of map tracking device is good.
W1QJ

Post by W1QJ »

TOTALLY the opposite here. I get MANY Fed EX deliveries weekly that require a signature. If I am not home I call 1-800-GOFEDEX. I can schedule another delivery date I will be home or they cn reroute the delivery for the next day to an alternate delievry site where I will be. NEVER had a problem with Fed EX . My route is one of those "home delivery" routes and I have the drivers cell phone number. he is a sub contractor. All you need is the doortag number or the routing number and they can contact the driver later that day when he comes back to the depot. Never a problem. UPS on the other hand are a bunch of MORONS
donate life
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

You can always make arrangements to pick-up a FedEx ground shipment at your nearest FedEx store. Call the FedEx 800- number for the "how to".

N9LCD
Marry01

Re: shipping via FedEx Home Delivery

Post by Marry01 »

I have used their Delivery service in Fort Worth many times. I find them quite responsible and fastest in delivering parcels at destination.
K4ICL

Post by K4ICL »

After over ten years of shipping high volumes of electronics equipment all over the US I have learned FedEx is the best carrier service available. Their drivers rarely miss a pickup and always place my deliveries out of the weather in a secure location. Because of other carriers' significantly high shipment damage and seemingly unconcerned drivers, I use FedEx exclusively.

Cheers,

Al
K4CIL
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

Yes, at least FedEx has enough smarts to put their deliverys in a concealed place out of the weather.

Not like one certain carrier who left a 12 FOOT LONG carton with vertical blinds in ON OUR FRONT STEPS WHERE EVERYBODY COULD SEE IT.

And, the worst part of it: THE BLINDS WERE FABRICATED TO FIT OUR FRONT WINDOWS!!!

N9LCD
kp4zb

Post by kp4zb »

2015 USPS still in the 1900, to track you only know that is in it way, from where who knows, to where they only know and delivery time isn't bullet proof, very sooorry tracking system, love FEDEX great service for much less, in a trade the other ham pay to USPS $43 I pay to FEDEX $31 good deal! :shock: