Bubble wrap at a reasonable price

Discussion of various shipping and packing methods, tips and tricks.
K8AC

Bubble wrap at a reasonable price

Post by K8AC »

I pack and ship several large pieces of ham gear every year and like to use plenty of the large bubble bubble-wrap to protect the gear. The wrap I normally use is 12" wide and if you buy it at one of the office supply stores, you pay in the range of $13-20 for a very small roll -maybe 25 feet. But, you can buy the same stuff in 250 foot rolls at businesses dedicated to boxes and other shipping supplies. I pay only $24 for a 250 foot roll that is around 4 feet in diameter. What's left on the roll, of course, takes up a lot of space, but it's very light and can be stored on garage shelves, etc. In our area, I buy the rolls from a US Packaging franchise and these places are often small warehouse stores that might also rent trucks, etc. I've also found that I can buy cardboard boxes there of just about any size I need for about 1/3 of what they cost anywhere else. Another item they carry is large bags (about 8 cubic feet) of plastic peanuts, and again the cost is a fraction of what you pay in an office supply store. :)