the worst you have ever received?

Discussion of various shipping and packing methods, tips and tricks.

the worst you have ever received?

Post by w8jn » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:43 pm

Whats the worst packing job you have ever received? 6 years ago, I purchased a Drake "7 line station" from a ham in California, shipped to me in Cincinnati. It was the tr7, l4b and ps , speaker, power supply and a few more odds and ends. He neatly wrapped each item in one layer of newspaper and stacked the entire station on top of itself in a heavy duty tall clothing box from a u-haul packing store. I received a station that looked like it was placed in a blender on puree! The guy was offended that I questioned his packing and blamed it all on ups. After some "friendly persuation" he finally refunded my $$$ and I shipped his scrap metal back to him..... happy trading.. 73 paul w8jn

Worst I ever got

Post by W8ZV » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:54 pm

I received a Johnson ranger from a fellow that was paid an extra $30.00 to double box and foam in place said piece. I received it wrapped in a sheet of newspaper in a box with no packing material at all. I was even more amazed to see that it arrived completely undamaged. Unbelievable.

Post by KC8VWM » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:55 am

An R390 A shipped inside a box full of foam peanuts.

The guy didn't place the radio inside a garbage bag before placing the radio inside the box and filling it full of foam peanuts.

So if anyone is familiar with all the chassis holes that are on the R 390A - you will quickly get the picture.

Please wrap items inside a plastic bag before placing it in the box for shipping.

I prefer wrapping items with the stronger "glad force flex" plastic bags and then taping it up real good before it even gets to see the inside of a shipping box.

My Best, Charles - KC8VWM

Post by w8jn » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:09 am

i just shipped a tl922. it was a monster job. needed millions of peanuts. i did use a "glad force flex" plastic bag. it does a terrific job!!!
73 paul w8jn

Stereo amp

Post by kenwood » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:33 pm

I bought a Kenwood stereo amp from a guy on Ebay and it was delivered in a giant Tide detergent box with newspapers crumpled up to fill the space. I couldnt believe it when I opened it to find that nothing was broken bent or damaged. :o

Re: the worst you have ever received?

Post by N3KO » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:02 am

Oddly, antenna damage, delivery personnel just loves to jam, crush and bend long narrow boxes. When ever I buy a used radio I request double boxing and will pay extra if they"re using new cartons and packing materials. I also request that the VFO knob be removed so we reduce that getting damaged.