Shipping Mosley CL 33 Antenna.

Discussion of various shipping and packing methods, tips and tricks.
SBH88

Shipping Mosley CL 33 Antenna.

Post by SBH88 »

I realize this will not be cheap to ship--114" long and 12" diameter aluminum tubes (6). Anyone ever shipped something like this? The cheapest quote I got was $145 from PA to CA. THANKS
Stu
SBH88

MOSLEY CL 33

Post by SBH88 »

Just to clarify, the tube diameters are 1" to 2" and all 6 tubes together is about a 10-12" diameter. Sorry about that mis-statement.
Stu
KC8VWM

Post by KC8VWM »

The high cost of shipping the package is more related to the "irregular" dimensions of the package more than anything else. You were probobly quoted an "oversized package" rate.

The formula both Fedex and UPS use to determine what they term as "dimensional weight" is concluded by measuring the three dimensions of the package multiplied together and divided by 194.

They also tack on a large package surcharge of $45.00.

This might help you better understand the madness:

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resour ... eight.html

However, you will be happy to know there "is" a more economical alternative to this high cost - oversized shipping dilemma and/or overpriced madness.

Try here instead! :-)

http://www.shipgreyhound.com/

"Greyhound PackageXpress is your one-stop source for shipping oversized, heavy weight, same day and overnight freight at incredibly low rates."

Hope that helps.

73 de Charles - KC8VWM
WB4KMA

Thin wall PVC

Post by WB4KMA »

I took a cushcraft beam and put it in a PVC pipe about 3 foot long.
The elements would fit in he boom too.
Then I capped off the ends and glued them.
Cost from Fl to Texas was 16.00

I know the bigger the beam, the bigger the package and the more it costs. Still, the PVC pipe3 turned out good.

Keep something else in mind too..........often the USPS uses services from Fed Ex and UPS for some shipping.