THE U.S. POSTAL SERVICE SHIPPING OPTIONS

Discussion of various shipping and packing methods, tips and tricks.
K4ICL

THE U.S. POSTAL SERVICE SHIPPING OPTIONS

Post by K4ICL »

SHIPPING SMALL PARTS

For most shipping requirements, especially small items, the U.S. Postal Service is a good option.

1) Small parts will ship to anywhere in USA using USPS Priority for $3.85 (up to 1 lb in weight); the post office will furnish the shipping box free. Box sizes include 7 x 7 x 6 and 12 x 12 x 8 inches. There are other sizes. Insurance is extra.

2) Items more than 1 lb will ship for $7.70 to anywhere in the USA using USPS FLAT RATE box (no weight limit!), boxes are free from the post office. The FLAT RATE box is 11 x 8.5 x 5.5 in. size. Insurance is extra. Note: You MUST use the Post Office supplied FLAT RATE box.

3) The advantages of using USPS Priority include:
  • a) Your package arrives in about 2 days instead of many days.
    b) Usually goes by AIR, instead of truck.
    c) Boxes are FREE!
    d) You can process the shipping label on the Internet (Clip-N-Ship, www.usps.com).
    e) The USPS will pickup your package(s) at your QTH for free. (Just call them or request pick up on the Internet.)
SHIPPING SMALL EQUIPMENT

If it will fit in a 11 x 8.5 x 5.5 inch US Postal Service supplied FLAT RATE Box, it will ship anywhere in the USA for $7.70 and arrive in 2 to 3 days instead of many days. It does not matter how much the FLAT RATE BOX weights, the price is the same for any weight. Most items will ship by AIR instead of truck, depending on distance. At your request, the Post office will pick it up at your QTH, FREE. You may process the label yourself, on the Internet, if you want. You do not need a scale to weigh the box!

Note: You MUST use the Post Office supplied FLAT RATE box.

SHIPPING LARGE EQUIPMENT

You can ship to anywhere in the world using USPS PRIORITY MAIL.

The advantages of using USPS Priority include:
  • a) Domestic shipments arrive in about 2 days instead of many days.
    b) Usually goes by AIR, instead of bouncing around in a truck.
    c) You can process the shipping label on the Internet (Clip-N-Ship, www.usps.com).
    d) The USPS will pickup your package(s) at your QTH for free. (Just call them or request pick up on the Internet.)
Large equpment shipments are about %15 percent higher that UPS GROUND. However, when damage control is important and you want the item to go by AIR instead of truck, it is the better option. Compare prices yourself using the Internet. Compare to other carriers' AIR TRANSPORT SERVICES, not their GROUND services.
Cheers,

AL
K4ICL
kp3s

Post by kp3s »

The new rate is $8.95 and this still a bargain compared to other carriers. Just pack it right and double box it and you will be satisfied with the results. :D
73 de Carlos, KP3S

http://kp3s.50megs.com
kd1ic

shipping by usps small flat rate box or envelope.

Post by kd1ic »

be very careful shipping usps small flat rate boxes or envelopes, you can't insure them, and you can't track them...usps does NOT track either of them, they will only give you a confirmation IF they ever get delivered.... when you leave them with your carrier or at the post office you are at the mercy of the system...case in point I sent a small priority mail international flat rate box to Italy on Nov. 16th 2009 it has not arrived yet, no info available through the postmaster at the post office they just said we can't help you, paypal got involved because of the buyer and took my money ($282.00 ) back and said tough luck ....end of story...stay with the larger boxes and you will be fine but they cost a lot more but at least you can get a paper trail......."gil' kd1ic :x
gilly
N0ISV

THE U.S. POSTAL SERVICE SHIPPING

Post by N0ISV »

Wayne-N0ISV here.
My 4th career is with the USPS as an RCA in Colorado.
Just FYI.....
Pack ALL your Ham gear you are selling and shipping via USPS VERY WELL, VERY GOOD, to the point of PACKING OVER KILL! And then add more.

Not only was a IC-7410 I traded for, badly damaged by usps, they WOULD NOT pay for any fix or replacement even with the PAID for added insurance?

4-5 days a week, I see how my/our/your packages are miss treated in the back sorting area.

Wayne-N0ISV