Shipping long items

Discussion of various shipping and packing methods, tips and tricks.
K9FW

Shipping long items

Post by K9FW »

FedEX Home Delivery accepts boxes up to 113" long with no over length surcharge. Maximum weight for any box shipped Fedex Home delivery is limited to 75lbs. If you take your packed item to a FedEx pack and ship, some will have to be reminded of this[make phone calls to confirm]. Fortunately there is a FedEx Hub, that accepts packages for shipping, close to us and those employees are aware of this. Al K9FW
K9XR

Re: Shipping long items

Post by K9XR »

I told you this before but apparently you don't believe me. I just priced 2 items shipping from my house (60487) to CAl (90210)

!) 59 X 6 X 6 Weight 8 LB. Value $75.00 Price $12.37

2) 62 X 6 X 6 Weight 8 LB Value $75.00 Price $18.12

These were both entered sending to a Residential Address using my commercial account. I used a "detail Quote" to get the Actual figures, not an Estimate. If it is NOT a Length surcharge, what is it? The only difference was the length. Maybe you can tell me what I am doing wrong?

K9FW wrote:FedEX Home Delivery accepts boxes up to 113" long with no over length surcharge. Maximum weight for any box shipped Fedex Home delivery is limited to 75lbs. If you take your packed item to a FedEx pack and ship, some will have to be reminded of this[make phone calls to confirm]. Fortunately there is a FedEx Hub, that accepts packages for shipping, close to us and those employees are aware of this. Al K9FW
K9FW

Re: Shipping long items

Post by K9FW »

None of your packages were even near 113" long, I fully believed you. Using a Commercial Account , makes the shipping a little less. 66" is the longest that UPS will ship, before they charge a LOT extra, that's what we were told at the local UPS HUB[a large HUB]. Your packages were under both carriers length limits, so there was not a problem with higher charges. That's why I didn't reply further. Al K9FW

[quote="K9XR"]I told you this before but apparently you don't believe me. I just priced 2 items shipping from my house (60487) to CAl (90210)

!) 59 X 6 X 6 Weight 8 LB. Value $75.00 Price $12.37

2) 62 X 6 X 6 Weight 8 LB Value $75.00 Price $18.12

These were both entered sending to a Residential Address using my commercial account. I used a "detail Quote" to get the Actual figures, not an Estimate. If it is NOT a Length surcharge, what is it? The only difference was the length. Maybe you can tell me what I am doing wrong?

[quote="K9FW"]FedEX Home Delivery accepts boxes up to 113" long with no over length surcharge. Maximum weight for any box shipped Fedex Home delivery is limited to 75lbs. If you take your packed item to a FedEx pack and ship, some will have to be reminded of this[make phone calls to confirm]. Fortunately there is a FedEx Hub, that accepts packages for shipping, close to us and those employees are aware of this. Al K9FW[/quote][/quote]
K9XR

HMMM

Post by K9XR »

I just checked UPS rates with No account and the 59" package is$18.00 and the 62" package would be $26.50 so the Length surcharges are pretty close for each company.Close to 50%.
K9FW

Re: HMMM

Post by K9FW »

Check UPS charges for a box 112" long by 6" by 8".

It's FedEx HOME DELIVERY, with the low price, NOT FedEx regular Ground Service.
As stated before UPS, charges extra for boxes longer than 66".
Yours do not apply.
Al K9FW

quote="K9XR"]I just checked UPS rates with No account and the 59" package is$18.00 and the 62" package would be $26.50 so the Length surcharges are pretty close for each company.Close to 50%.[/quote]
K9XR

YES

Post by K9XR »

YES That was FEDEX HOME
K9FW

Re: YES

Post by K9FW »

Try 112" long by 6" by 8" shipped by UPS. This is my point, your boxes do not apply, for over length, by either FedEx Home, or UPS Ground. Are we bantering HI HI.

Al K9FW

[quote="K9XR"]YES That was FEDEX HOME[/quote]
K4ICL

FedEx Companies

Post by K4ICL »

"FedEx" operates as two separate companies sharing the same distribution communications systems. One is FedEx HOME DELIVERY and the other is FedEx GROUND. The rates and package requirements between the two vary somewhat.

Their online ordering system "favors" home delivery but you can avoid it by not allowing the system to to require you to use a "residential" address. Always select GROUND as the shipper option, and if asked to choose between their "residential" address variant or the address you entered, keep your entered address. Don't choose their residential address. If you do, the order will be changed to HOME DELIVERY instead of GROUND.

AL
K9FW

Re: FedEx Companies

Post by K9FW »

Would someone Please get shipping quotes from UPS, FedEx Ground, and FedEx Home Delivery for a box 112" long 10" wide 8" depth, with a weight of 40lbs, maybe this will clear the air on my original post "Shipping Long Items".
Thanks, Al K9FW

[quote="K4ICL"]"FedEx" operates as two separate companies sharing the same distribution communications systems. One is FedEx HOME DELIVERY and the other is FedEx GROUND. The rates and package requirements between the two vary somewhat.

Their online ordering system "favors" home delivery but you can avoid it by not allowing the system to to require you to use a "residential" address. Always select GROUND as the shipper option, and if asked to choose between their "residential" address variant or the address you entered, keep your entered address. Don't choose their residential address. If you do, the order will be changed to HOME DELIVERY instead of GROUND.

AL[/quote]
K4ICL

No Can Do...

Post by K4ICL »

Would someone Please get shipping quotes from UPS, FedEx Ground, and FedEx Home Delivery for a box 112" long 10" wide 8" depth, with a weight of 40lbs, maybe this will clear the air on my original post "Shipping Long Items".
Thanks, Al K9FW
Not really very useful. ALL quotes should be from your zip-code to the other guys zip-code and should include all details of your shipment, not just size and weight.

For what it is worth, I NEVER include size info in my shipments, The only thing critical is that the size meets the maximums requirements of the specific service you choose. Further, there are add-ons to the cost, i.e. insurance etc.

Bottom line, you will need run the numbers on the on-line DETAILED estimator pages for each chosen service, to get info you want.

Good luck,

AL
K9FW

Re: No Can Do...

Post by K9FW »

Use shipped from Zip Code 46805 going to Zip code 85390. For FedEx Home there has to be a Declared Value.
Same applies to FedEx Ground, for replacement Value, if something happens to your shipment. UPS Calls it Insurance. So just pick a Declared value or an insurance amount, that is reasonable, say $800. List the contents as aluminum tubing. Hope that nothing was omitted this time.
Al K9FW

[quote]Would someone Please get shipping quotes from UPS, FedEx Ground, and FedEx Home Delivery for a box 112" long 10" wide 8" depth, with a weight of 40lbs, maybe this will clear the air on my original post "Shipping Long Items".
Thanks, Al K9FW [/quote]

Not really very useful. ALL quotes should be from your zip-code to the other guys zip-code and should include all details of your shipment, not just size and weight.

For what it is worth, I NEVER include size info in my shipments, The only thing critical is that the size meets the maximums requirements of the specific service you choose. Further, there are add-ons to the cost, i.e. insurance etc.

Bottom line, you will need run the numbers on the on-line DETAILED estimator pages for each chosen service, to get info you want.

Good luck,

AL[/quote]
K4ICL

Sorry...

Post by K4ICL »

Perhaps you misunderstood my comments.

I am not going to do your research for you.

AL
K9FW

Re: Sorry...

Post by K9FW »

I understood your comment fully, this was posted so that other Hams that are reluctant to ship long items, like antennas would know that by shipping through FedEx Home Delivery, up to 113" long and with a max weight of 75lbs, could ship
their antennas, at a very reasonable cost, and they would be easier to sell instead of "Pick Up Only". We have done this ourselves, and FedEx Home delivery is the least expensive for items longer than 66".
Your comments are appreciated. Thanks Al K9FW

[quote="K4ICL"]Perhaps you misunderstood my comments.

I am not going to do your research for you.

AL[/quote]
K9XR

Post by K9XR »

I just checked the FEDEX SERVICE Guide. and you can't ship it FEDED GROUND or HOME. It HAS to go FEDEX EXPRESS because the LENGTH and GIRTH EXCEED 130". The total is 146".. They have several DIMENSION cut'offs and that is what I have been trying to tell you.

If the Length and girth is over 84" it ships as 30LB even if it weighs 8LB. if ithe length and girth exceed 108" it ships as 70 LB no matter what the actual weight is.

In the two examples I Gave (i used FEDEX so I didn't realy care about UPS) the difference is 83" length and girth for the first example and it comes to 86" for the Second Example. Like I said before even though the weights are the same FEDEX charges almost 50% more for as they call it a :"dimensional surcharge". I guess the reason I called it a "length surcharge" is because the only thing that changed in my example is the length.

If the package were heavier it would not be as much, but there would dtill be a surcharge. If it weighed 28LB and it would ship as 30LB so it would be no big deal. If it were 94 L X 10 W X 8 H at 50 LB it would ship as 70LB no matter what the actual weight is. That exaple would be about the Maimum size (length and girth) for FEDEX GROUND or HOME (they both use the same Tarriff for OVER DIMENSION SURCHARGES.

Now if you could Get the size down to 5" X 5" you could use 110" long OR if you could get it down even further to 4" X 4" you could use thw 113" Length. These would both have to ship as 70LB no matter what the actual weight. Does this make any sense?
K9FW wrote:Would someone Please get shipping quotes from UPS, FedEx Ground, and FedEx Home Delivery for a box 112" long 10" wide 8" depth, with a weight of 40lbs, maybe this will clear the air on my original post "Shipping Long Items".
Thanks, Al K9FW
K4ICL wrote:"FedEx" operates as two separate companies sharing the same distribution communications systems. One is FedEx HOME DELIVERY and the other is FedEx GROUND. The rates and package requirements between the two vary somewhat.

AL
K9FW

Post by K9FW »

Thanks for all your time and effort, in this matter.
Al K9FW

[quote="K9XR"]I just checked the FEDEX SERVICE Guide. and you can't ship it FEDED GROUND or HOME. It HAS to go FEDEX EXPRESS because the LENGTH and GIRTH EXCEED 130". The total is 146".. They have several DIMENSION cut'offs and that is what I have been trying to tell you.

If the Length and girth is over 84" it ships as 30LB even if it weighs 8LB. if ithe length and girth exceed 108" it ships as 70 LB no matter what the actual weight is.

In the two examples I Gave (i used FEDEX so I didn't realy care about UPS) the difference is 83" length and girth for the first example and it comes to 86" for the Second Example. Like I said before even though the weights are the same FEDEX charges almost 50% more for as they call it a :"dimensional surcharge". I guess the reason I called it a "length surcharge" is because the only thing that changed in my example is the length.

If the package were heavier it would not be as much, but there would dtill be a surcharge. If it weighed 28LB and it would ship as 30LB so it would be no big deal. If it were 94 L X 10 W X 8 H at 50 LB it would ship as 70LB no matter what the actual weight is. That exaple would be about the Maimum size (length and girth) for FEDEX GROUND or HOME (they both use the same Tarriff for OVER DIMENSION SURCHARGES.

Now if you could Get the size down to 5" X 5" you could use 110" long OR if you could get it down even further to 4" X 4" you could use thw 113" Length. These would both have to ship as 70LB no matter what the actual weight. Does this make any sense?

[quote="K9FW"]Would someone Please get shipping quotes from UPS, FedEx Ground, and FedEx Home Delivery for a box 112" long 10" wide 8" depth, with a weight of 40lbs, maybe this will clear the air on my original post "Shipping Long Items".
Thanks, Al K9FW

[quote="K4ICL"]"FedEx" operates as two separate companies sharing the same distribution communications systems. One is FedEx HOME DELIVERY and the other is FedEx GROUND. The rates and package requirements between the two vary somewhat.

AL[/quote][/quote][/quote]
K9XR

No Problem

Post by K9XR »

Al,

You're welcome, I hope it clears things up a little.

73 Al K9XR