Possible scam

Discussion of ways to help ensure a safe trade, so you don't get ripped-off. Do not discuss individuals here. Use the Feedback Forum instead.
wb0vak

Possible scam

Post by wb0vak »

This is the E-Mail I just got about MY AD.
I thought I would post so everyone can see and watch for THIS NAME

I am Angela Ruffino from London,UK,i came accross your advert on website that you are in need of the above subject stated,i just want to used this little words of mine to let you know that i have it for sale,and still in a good condition, if you need some pics of the item i can send them to you once i heard from you so we can bargain price and i will need your complete address for shipping purpose, please i only need a serious buyer and i do accept check payment ,international money order and western union money transfer,MoneyGram money Transfer and paypal and also let me know what method of payment you prefer..You can call me on +447024057349 or send me an email for further discussion

Dave. WB0VAK
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Maybe i'm not distrusting enough but it seems to me that this is a pretty open offer and i honestly see no attempt to scam . Maybe you should get there ham call and if possible check with other Hams in London area about the person.Also if using Pay Pal they will show if he is a verified member and how many transactions plus have his address and stuff.So if he has what your looking for and you have a agreed upon price do the Pay Pal as you do not have to complete the transaction if still suspicious.
Larry Huff K0pd
N5KBP

Post by N5KBP »

I wouldn't immediately assume it was a scam. The " above subject stated" line and the references to the "item" instead of ever actually naming what you are talking about would make me proceed with extreme caution though.
W4XQ

Absolutely a scam

Post by W4XQ »

Just Google "Angela's" phone number. You will see how many times she has sent this EXACT email, and it's easy to figure out it is a scam.

Generally, when you get an email like this that does NOT refer to the item you posted by name, you need to start poking around on the internet. She uses the exact language in every email, so it is obvious she is doing a "cut and paste". This is commonly indicative behavior of scam artists.

Don't fall for it.

Steve W4XQ
W4XQ

Post by W4XQ »

Additionaly, if you Google the international phone code +4470, it will take you to this page (among others). http://resources.alibaba.com/topic/1895 ... r_4487.htm

Steve
W4XQ
NM7L

Same verbiage...different POC.

Post by NM7L »

I have the same e-mail verbiage in reply to a wanted ad I have here on QTH.com, except my ad was from a "Steve Canada", at e-mail address steve_canada@rediffmail.com .

Sounds like a scam to me - therefore I did not bite!
"These floors are dirty as hell...and I'm not gonna take it anymore!"
- Stanley Spudowski
U-62 Custodial Lead
VE3TMT

Post by VE3TMT »

If I received a reply worded like that, scam or no scam, it's in the SPAM folder. But for the record, that one reeks of scam.
wx1f

scam

Post by wx1f »

If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and quacks like a duck.....what does it have to do? Slap you in the beak??? Delete it, fool !!! (Mr T )
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

W4XQ what great info and it definately shows my lack of scammer sophistication. Tnx for the info even tho so far i've been lucky as if i smell some thing wrong i just end it...
Larry Huff K0pd
kg8lb

Post by kg8lb »

Judging from the number of "don't be so quick to call it a scam" , Looks like a legitimate offer" comments here I bet she finds a few fools with her "scam" as well.
K0BT

Re: Same verbiage...different POC.

Post by K0BT »

NM7L wrote:I have the same e-mail verbiage in reply to a wanted ad I have here on QTH.com, except my ad was from a "Steve Canada", at e-mail address steve_canada@rediffmail.com .

Sounds like a scam to me - therefore I did not bite!
I have received two of these from "Steve Canada" in the UK at that address. Both sounded exactly the same. Here is the latest...

-------------
I am Steve Canada from London,UK,i came accross your advert on website that you are in need of the above subject stated,i just want to used this little words of mine to let you know that i have it for sale,and still in a good condition, if you need some pics of the item i can send them to you once i heard from you so we can bargain price and i will need your complete address for shipping purpose, please i only need a serious buyer and i do accept check payment ,international money order and western union money transfer,MoneyGram money Transfer and paypal and also let me know what method of payment you prefer..You can call me on +447024057349 or send me an email for further discussion
--------------

Same poor English skills, same lack of a specific reference to the "item", same text. The first one was a month ago in response to my ad looking for TS-830 parts and this one is in response to an ad looking to buy a TL-922.

I'm amazed that this still works well enough for the scammers to continue to toss out the bait.
ab7jk

Post by ab7jk »

It's a scam. I usually get those from Nigerians. One time it was a transceiver and the guy wanted about ten times what it's worth.

Kim