KB1LMI - Sold me modified, non-working mic as 'New in Box'

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
AA1UY

KB1LMI - Sold me modified, non-working mic as 'New in Box'

Post by AA1UY »

The advertisement on QTH read:

NEW NOS ASTATIC D 104 TUG 8 MICROPHONE CRYSTAL ELEMENT HAVE ONLY 2 LEFT NEVER WIRED IN BOXES RARE OPP TO FIND ONE OF THESE NEW IN THE BOX $99.00 photos available

What KB1LMI actually sent me in return for my $99.00 + shipping, was a modified, non-working D-104 and T-UG8 stand. Condition of chrome and paint was nice but D-104 head/stock joint was wobbly and when it wouldn't work, I found that the T-UG8 pre-amplifier tag-board had been re-wired and had a choke added.

An Astatic technician confirmed that this microphone had been re-wired and was not wired as per factory specification (nor did the wiring match the wiring diagram on the base-plate of the microphone). When I re-wired it per the wiring diagram and removed the choke, it worked perfectly!

Modified (presumably used) non-working equipment covered in fingerprints and shoved in some old box with a bunch of crumpled newspapers as packaging is NOT New Old Stock or New in the Box (which is what was advertised) !

A New in the Box Astatic D-104 / T-UG8 should come in an original Astatic-labeled box with head and stand wrapped separately in bubble-wrap and with an instruction sheet and other paperwork.

When I informed KB1LMI that this was obviously not New Old Stock, the response was silence.

*** UPDATE 11/14/04 ***
Since posting this feedback, KB1LMI has offered me a refund including shipping. I have declined his offer as I've expended enough time and effort on this mic. and don't see why he should get the benefit of my fixing it. Yes, I should've complained when I first received it and not fixed it up, but then again, if I'd got what was advertised, then there would have been no need to complain!
k4kk

Post by k4kk »

It seems like KB1LMI did 100% to make it right.

It seems like you mitigated the damages.

Both seem to be fine. That's a good result.