HELP -- FLAT 50-OHM COAXIAL JUMPER

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
N9LCD

HELP -- FLAT 50-OHM COAXIAL JUMPER

Post by N9LCD »

Earlier this year I saw a cable & wire dealer advertising flat 50-ohm coaxial cable jumpers with UHF connectors on either end. The jumpers purportedly were flat enough to fit under or around doors and windows and were for transmitting.

I've tried Google searches and several amateur equipment dealers without any success,

Does anybody have a lead on "flat" coaxial jumpers?

Thanks & 73!

N9LCD
K9XR

Flat Cable

Post by K9XR »

About the only flat or near flat cable I have seen is the mini-stuff. I think it is mostly used for internal wiring and I don't know if they make adapters to use UHF connectors or not. Also I'm not sure how much power it would handle, but some of those small Teflon cable can handle a lot more power than you would think. Is this for HF? How much power are you talking? Just the electrical characteristics of impedance would make it pretty difficult I would think. I remember about 40 years ago there was a 72 ohm twin lead made by Belden. It was pretty flat, but overall probably not much thinner than RG58, but if I remember right I believe it was good for a KW.
k4kk

Post by k4kk »

All I have seen are RG6 for satellite/cable TV.

An easy solution is to cut a 2X4 (or 1X4 or ???) the width of the window and put bulkhead connectors in it. Then close the window down onto it and put a pin at the top of the window to prevent it from opening from the outside (a screw works well).
KA9MOT

Post by KA9MOT »

A flattened coax cable? I see a huge Impedance change with that. Cant be 50 Ohm.
Steve - KA9MOT
N9LCD

FOUND IT!

Post by N9LCD »

Thanks to everybody who responded to my question about a flat coax jumper.

I finally found it. It's the COMET CTC-50 WINDOW GAP JUMPER. The jumper is rated at 100 watts HF, dropping to 10 watts at 900 - 1296 MHz FM. I'll be in contact with NCG for more information, especially dimensions and bending/compression limitations.

I may finally get on HF without having to bore through the exterior walls and insulation!

N9LCD

:D