W4AS- Sebastian Acosta

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
wb6don

W4AS- Sebastian Acosta

Post by wb6don »

I'd recommend being careful in dealing with this gentleman. I purchased a 718 he had advertised as "absolutely new condition" only to discover the radio had undeclared marginal modifications done to it, as well as having a burned diode in the tuner control circuit.
After emailing him about the discoveries, he became somewhat less-than responsive (didn't email back), and when I threatened a paypal dispute, he finally responded and stated that he did do the mod but failed to mention it to me, and then suggested I damaged the tuner circuit.
I would suggest seeing in person whatever he is selling you since he doesn't want to stand behind his own words in ads he posts, and then adopts the Ebay attitude of blaming it on someone else. (original ad posted below)
He now tells me because he has been a ham for thirty years, he couldn't have possibly done something like this and should be immune from commentary such as this.

ICOM IC-718 3 months new + DSP - Sold!
Purchased right after Xmas, just upgraded to
an Icom 746 and need to sell this to pay off
the new one. Absolutely like new, no
scratches, non-smoker, never abused, etc.
You won't find a cleaner rig. Check the
reviews on this radio! Comes as new with the
box, manual, mike, power cord, plastic
covers, receipt from HRO. Has factory
installed DSP. $450; double boxed &
shipped via FedEx.
USPS money order, or PayPal, but you'll have
to add something extra. Check my 100%
feedback in eBay, my username is sacosta.
73 de W4AS.
This was marked by the originator on Apr 03, 2008 as being sold.

I might also mention I paid him $480.00 dollars for this supposedly new radio to try to make sure it was a fair deal and to offset a few dollar difference in using UPS instead of fed-ex. ( remember, it says 450 shipped)

Hope this post saves someone the aggravation I went through.

Have a great day all!
K4ICL

The meaning of "AS NEW"...

Post by K4ICL »

When a person states that an item he is selling on QTH.com is "as new" it had better be the same as out of the factory box. No modifications, not faults, no dirt, scratches, etc. "As New" mean BETTER than EXCELLENT.

If it is not truly in as new condition, the seller is committing out and out fraud. He "sells" his reputation for a few pieces of silver and once it is "sold" he will never get it back.

Nuff Said...

K4ICL