AE8Q Gary Dobbs - Abuse of QTH.com Classifieds

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
KA9FOX
Site Admin

AE8Q Gary Dobbs - Abuse of QTH.com Classifieds

Post by KA9FOX »

This morning, I was alerted by several hams that the QTH.com Classifieds were filled with ads, supposedly by K6CVC, promoting ads on eBay. Upon further investigation, using IP address information, I was able to match the ads to the same IP address that was used by Gary Dobbs AE8Q during the same time-frame. I cannot give more specifics here, but I will be providing the information to his Internet Provider's Abuse Dept., and I will cooperate fully with authorities in any formal investigation that may ensue.

I am providing this information in this forum to help clear Chuck K6CVC in this ordeal. I am sure his image was tarished by the fake postings by AE8Q, and this is very unfortunate. K6CVC did not make any of these postings, and the IP address evidence clearly points to AE8Q.

AE8Q has been banned from posting ads and responding to ads in the QTH.com Classifieds.

73 - Scott KA9FOX
N2PET

Gary Dobbs AE8Q

Post by N2PET »

I don't know any of the details on this but, I have done business with Gary a couple of times and always found him to be honest and reliable. There are two sides to every story, hopefully Gary will respond to this. Just my nickles worth. Scott N2PET.
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Re: Gary Dobbs AE8Q

Post by KA9FOX »

radioactive wrote:I don't know any of the details on this but, I have done business with Gary a couple of times and always found him to be honest and reliable. There are two sides to every story, hopefully Gary will respond to this. Just my nickles worth. Scott N2PET.
I e-mailed him directly about it, and nearly two days later he has not responded. (EDIT: Now it's about 2 weeks, and still he's not even replied back with an excuse and/or an apology for his actions.)

Bottom line is that AE8Q had an e-mail argument with K6CVC, and apparently retaliated by spamming my site with fake ads using K6CVC's callsign. Using the e-mails sent to K6CVC, the IP address of the source of those e-mails exactly matches the IP used to spam my site. There is little to no chance this was done by anyone else, but I will try to have an open mind if/when he contacts me with his side of the story, if there is one.

Very, very disappointing.

- Scott KA9FOX