W5ACF - proceed with caution

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
n6opv

W5ACF - proceed with caution

Post by n6opv »

W5ACF, Michael McGrane in Vicksburg, MS agreed to purchase 2 radios and provided a timeframe of a couple days when the payment was to be sent via money order. This was just about one month ago and was the last communication I ever had from him. I sent almost a dozen e-mails over that time with no response. I also posted on the Swap List looking for him or contact info for him. I received a phone number from another member but over the few days I tried it, there was never an answer, answering machine or voicemail. I have finally given up and re-listed the radios. Those are the facts; proceed at your own risk.

Jason - N6OPV
kb9vxq

Post by kb9vxq »

All I can say is that after 2 or 3 e-mails it should have been obvious that nothing was going to happen. A dozen e-mails seems like a waste of time. I too have had buyers back out for no reason other than they changed their mind or ran short of money.

It's also possible that maybe he got sick. In the hospital or worse. Strange that he don't answer his phone.

I'm not sure it's anything to be too cautious about.
n6opv

Post by n6opv »

I actually had someone get sick once :( I didn't hear from them for a couple weeks but wouldn't you know it, the day after I shipped to another buyer, the payment from the first buyer showed up. I felt bad but he understood and I sent his money back. I thought I'd leave a little more room this time just in case.

I don't really care if someone changes their mind or has money problems. I don't do this for a living. If they let me know, I'll move on and find another buyer. It's a much smaller inconvenience then wondering for weeks what happened.

Jason - N6OPV