BUYER BEWARE - Justin, N7ILA

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
kc8zjd

BUYER BEWARE - Justin, N7ILA

Post by kc8zjd »

Last Sunday I responded to an ad as stated below...

-------------------------------------
Excellent condition QRP transceiver - 100% functionally perfect and 9/10 cosmetically. Comes with all original packaging and accessories, but also with the W4RT 2300mAH internal battery, which lasts about twice as long as the stock. I will also include a carrying case and if you would like, a 20m dipole.

-------------------------------------

I have omitted names as the seller has not yet responded to my last inquiry and I'm not into giving someone a bad name they don't deserve. I'm no saint, and I'm not perfect, but I would like some feedback if I'm off-base here.

I paid last Sunday, 3/12, the full asking price. I did not try to bargain, as I felt it was a good bargain already, never questioned the price. Seller advised he would ship Monday and e-mail me or call me with tracking numbers, he even called Monday morning to confirm my shipping address.

However, no additional call or contact on Monday with tracking, and no information on Tuesday either. On Wednesday, I called to inquire about tracking information, received no answer so I left a voicemail. No response on Wednesday. I call on Thursday, another voicemail. Thursday night I try again, the seller answers. It is obvious there is an upset child in the background, and the seller says the tracking slips are in his car, asks if my cell phone will accept a text message. I said sure, just text them when you can. (I have a 3 year old and I felt for the guy, I know how it can be.)

No text message comes. Friday I call 3 times, all voicemails. My voicemails have all been very polite requests for the tracking information. Probably some concern in my tone on the late voicemail Friday night, but nonetheless, remaining positive and trying to be understanding.

Saturday morning I awake to find a text message from the seller from 12:16AM Saturday morning with the following:

"I am at work and cant take phone calls, sorry about that. expect your two packages monday or tuesday. i dont have the dc number here 73"

I texted the following back at 8:16am Saturday morning:

"SELLERNAME I need the DC numbers. I don't think that's asking too much at this point. You were going to call with the info after you shipped, never called. Then you were going to text me with the numbers because they were in your car, never did. You answered the phone every time I called before the purchase, now it seems I can't reach you. The DC numbers should not be this difficult to communicate. I would like the numbers by the end of today. Thanks, Brian."

At 12:51p I receive this response (another text message):

"Ok we have spoken twice since the purchase. again, your items were shipped. i just dont care to think about it now since i probably sold it all for too little."

And then at 12:53p (2 minutes later) I receive this:

"Like I said, i was working when you called, and previously had my hands full with a four month old. dont make this something its not. 03043490xxxxxxxxxx"

That last bit was one of the DC numbers. However, it didn't really matter because the radio was delivered already that morning.

The shipping concerned me as soon as I received the packages. The FT-817ND box had only been wrapped in brown paper (that did not cover the entire box either) with my address written on it, no packing material whatsoever. There was one smaller box with the "carrying case" in it all scrunched up into the smallest box possible. No insurance was purchased on the shipment at all.

On with the only issue remaining... two of the "original accessories" that come with the FT-817ND are not there. The original FNB-85 battery, and the E-DC-6 power cable. The additional item listed, the 20m dipole, is also not there.

I do not remember specifically asking for the 20m dipole, so if I didn't receive it, that's fine, I can live with that.

However, I don't feel the seller has lived up to the deal. All original accessories were NOT included, and contact issues aside, I don't feel that seller's remorse is a good reason for not communicating with the buyer.

I have sent the seller one final e-mail regarding the power cable and battery, as of yet with no response.

Am I off base here? I still feel as though I got a decent deal, even without the items included. Certainly not AS good as I thought, but still not bad. I will keep the radio regardless of whether I receive the battery and power cable, but I'm just trying to guage if I should just let this go and chalk it up to a learning experience, or pursue the missing items ?

I don't feel I should have to list every original accessory and ask if each is included if the ad says that all original accessories are included, if I were the seller I would feel insulted if I said all were and someone went through each individually. As if I were immediately the dishonest one who was going to try and keep a few accessories.

Anyways, entirely too long post... am I off-base? Should I let it go? I feel the other contact issues and the sellers remorse is making me more apt to pursue the missing items.

73's, happy buying.
Last edited by kc8zjd on Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KC0UKR

Post by KC0UKR »

I am trying to understand how you might be"off-base" at all.
The item was described one way and you received it another way.
It seems fairly simple to me that you did not receive what was listed and you have every right to expect it as listed.

I am amazed every day with the attitude of some sellers regarding doing what they said they would do and then justifying later what the end up doing.
Things do occur that will distract us from perfroming as promosed but it should be a simple matter to straighten those things out.

If you did not receive what you were promised then the deal is not done,plain and simple.

Good Luck
Ed
N2PET

Post by N2PET »

I would say that you are not Off Base even a little bit. You want the items that you bought and paid for as advertised. Bottom Line... Keep on the seller until he fufills his obligation to send you the agreed upon items! Good Luck, Scott N2PET. :D
n9vao

Post by n9vao »

You are not wrong in this deal............

First, he offered no excuse as to why it took him so long to send you the tracking number. True sometimes things happen and people can't reply asap but he said nothing.

Second, I don't think you got a good deal because he did not send everything like the ad said. How much more would he not have sent you before you would think it's not a deal?

And last, he took a big chance not packaging it correctly. I bet that when he went to ship it the shipper said he can't insure it because of the way it's wrapped and he didn't care just said send it. Your lucky it was not all beat up and damaged because you would be out of luck, I don't think he would return your money!

Not receiving everything the ad said your being too nice by not posting his call and name so other people won't be taken by this guy.
K4ICL

How about the rest to the story?

Post by K4ICL »

To be sure other users don't have another similar experience with this particular seller, I think you should publish his callsign.

I do not care to deal with those too irresponsible to keep their word, so I would like to know who this one is so I can avoid him.

'nuff said...

K4ICL
kc8zjd

Re: How about the rest to the story?

Post by kc8zjd »

K4ICL wrote:To be sure other users don't have another similar experience with this particular seller, I think you should publish his callsign.

I do not care to deal with those too irresponsible to keep their word, so I would like to know who this one is so I can avoid him.

'nuff said...

K4ICL
Rest assured, while I feel I'm a nice guy, I will publish his callsign if he refuses to respond on the battery and cable issue. I will give it a bit more time for him to respond, otherwise his call will be posted.
n0wjp

Post by n0wjp »

I went through a similar situation last spring with Fred Massoni KE4AMQ. Just like in your situation, he didn't send an accessory (power cord) that he listed in the original ad. We discussed Fred's lack of integrity here for weeks (he even participated in the discussion) and he still refused to make good on our deal.

I think posting information on good and bad deals here on the forum is a good idea, but keep in mind that posting a callsign here won't necessarily compel the other guy to fix the deal. In my case I'm stil waiting on a power cord from a year ago that Fred, who oddly enough is a police officer, still won't send. On top of that he's started posting "for sale" ads here again.

If I were you I'd go ahead and post the callsign. Maybe it will encourage the other guy to send the missing items, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it..

Jeff
N0WJP
kc8zjd

Post by kc8zjd »

The verdict is in...

-------------------------------
mr patterson,

i am glad to hear that you received the transceiver in good repair. accept my apology for the unnecessary delay in forwarding the tracking information to you, and for what i now realize could be a slightly misleading listing. yes, i did forget the power cord, i'll send it along in an envelope this week. everything i received from the original owner was included in your package. i do not have, nor did i at any time, any other battery other than the included aftermarket one, and the 8AA holder. unfortunately, i cannot assume any more of a financial loss on this deal, so if you're unhappy at this point, perhaps we can reverse the transaction and bid eachother 73.

all the best,
justin, n7ila
"fair and balanced audio"
-------------------------------

I highlighted my favorite part, as once again, sellers remorse means that I take the short end of the stick (just amazes me).

I hope "fair and balanced audio" is more fair and balanced than I experienced.

73's folks, live and learn.

Brian / KC8ZJD
kc8zjd

Post by kc8zjd »

and still no power cord in the mail from Mr. Justin, N7ILA. No response to muliple inquiries either.

Buyer Beware.
kb9vxq

Post by kb9vxq »

kc8zjd wrote:and still no power cord in the mail from Mr. Justin, N7ILA. No response to muliple inquiries either.

Buyer Beware.
Sorry to hear of your loss Brian. Thanks for the heads up on this bad seller. Rest assured his con won't go un-noticed in the ham community.